Grants:IdeaLab/Wiki Awareness Campaign
Who are the people you want to introduce Wikipedia to?Edit
Students and Faculty of Government Girls Senior Secondary School, Prem Nagar, Karnal, Haryana, INDIA
In what languages do they search for information, online or otherwise?Edit
English and Hindi
In what ways does this group communicate with each other?Edit
Lectures, classes, In-person
What are some reasons this group would use Wikipedia? How would they benefit from it, or what would they find useful?Edit
Studies, Assignments and general information.
What language Wikipedia projects will you promote to new readers?Edit
How will you communicate with new readers? Will you be communicating with them online, in-person, or both?Edit
Both Online and In-person
Describe your idea to engage new readers. How might it be implemented? What will you tell people about Wikipedia?Edit
This idea aims to create users out of a section of the population which is usually not very internet savvy. The plan includes the following:
- First we'll arrange a lecture by local Hindi Wikipedians for the students of class XI and XII. Here they will introduce them to Wikipedia and other projects.
- Then, we'll follow it with a practical hands on workshop for the students where they'll be free to explore their newfound source of knowledge while our experienced Wikipedians will help them with their queries.
- After this the students will be encouraged to explore Wikipedia oon their own and note down anything they wish to discuss about their experience.
- About a week later, we will have another discussion session with some local Wikipedians where the students could share their experiences and queries.
- We'll assess the outcome on the basis of an end of the lecture quiz and feedback forms.
- The project will be a success if it is able to create 20 new users.
Do you think you can implement this idea? What support do you need?Edit
1. Experienced Wikipedians to share their experiences with the students and how the students can learn from it.
2. Financial assistance for arranging the lectures as the schools would not provide that.
3. Some sort of giveaways for the students, like stickers and Wikipedia pins for the volunteers.
About the idea creatorEdit
I am an Engineering Graduate who has learnt a lot from Wikipedia. This is my way of spreading the joy of free knowledge.
- Community organizer I shall coordinate with the local editors for collaboration. Shypoetess (talk) 12:23, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
Expand your ideaEdit
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?Edit
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschilling wikimedia.org for help!
I'll organise a lecture and training workshops for the students of class XI and class XII and help them to experience Wikipedia.
- Total participation: 50
- New Users: 20
- More activity from the target group
- The school will provide a projector enabled lecture room; a computer lab and necessary staff.
- Some local volunteers have agreed to help with the refreshments and registration kits etc.
- I'm it talk with some experienced Hindi Wikipedians to deliver the lecture.
- Students' kit = 2500/-
- Food for 70 people (two days) = 7000/-
- Travel Reimbursement for speaker = 1000/-
- Banner = 1000/-
- Wiki Stickers Printing = 1000/-
- Prizes for Quiz Winners = 1000/-
- Wikipedia pens for participants = 1000/-
- Unforeseen expenses = 3000/-
Total = 17500/-