Grants:IdeaLab/Non violent communication
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Right now, helping to reduce violence between contributors and editors. On a long term, reducing the number of conflicts.
What is your solution?Edit
NonViolent Communication (NVC) is a way to express your opinion without violence. It doesn't require any change in opinion, only a better comprehension in what communication is. What is NonViolent Communication? NVC is a concrete set of skills which help us create life-serving communications.
Let's create a toolbox useful for people in need of how to deal with harassment: method, examples, support.
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
I see the project in 2 phases (1 - documentation about conflicts solving, 2 - formal training for people who are involved in conflict resolution).
Expected results in phase 1 - documentation :
- a better comprehension of the goals and mechanisms of a conflict,
- less points of view leading to an open conflict,
- time reduction in solving conflicts.
- Poll among contributers using NVC to express their opinion about: ease to use, confidence, safety.
- average time to solve conflicts.
Expected results phase 2 - training: for the trainees, an increase in the capacity of solving conflicts.
Table of contentsEdit
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Table of contents
- 4 Get involved
- 5 Project plan
Any person who has/had to deal with harassment is welcome. Any person who wants to contribute to decrease violence in the Wikimedia projects is welcome!
- Community organizer This could be one of the most recognizable and most inovative idea that wikipedia really needs...We have to stop agresive and kinda mad adding and editing of the normal peaceful pages... WooodenToy (talk) 12:56, 10 June 2016 (UTC)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Finding examples of harassment (preferably real situations), and make a typology.
- Develop the connection with trainers to confirm
- Appeal to administrators to test the cases.
They will be 2 phases in the project:
Phase 1 - NVC as tool for conflict resolutionEdit
- show NVC fundamentals, adapted to the world of writing (discussions between contributors work on a blog's model)
- show a typology of the diversity in conflicts' situation (almost there in Wikipedia)
- give access to a series of cases for each type of conflict, with a resolution involving NVC
- submit those cases to an experts' comity in Wikipedia (administrators, mediators) for improvement,
- promote the tool and the cases.
In term of resources, I see the need of :
- a group who knows well how are the conflict in the encyclopedia, to gather the most relevant conflicts, i.e.: the longests, the most frequent, the hardest to solve,
- a team of persons who know well NVC, so they can read those conflicts in the light of NVC. They will be asked to write down a series of cases,
- a group of experts in conflicts to evaluate the propositions.
I'd like to work both on the English Wikipedia and the French Wikipedia, 2 big environments where I have seen many conflicts. I expect the time to write the cases will be long, so I ask the Wikimedia foundation for a grant of 2000 $ (around 1800 €) to pay those who will spend the time to write down the cases.
Phase 2 - Use NVC to solve conflictsEdit
- identify et recruit people with the desire to see how NVC work in solving conflicts;
- train this group;
- use all this new knowledge on real situations.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project: All abuse. Everybody involved in harassment (from both parts). (how to measure the effectiveness? number of fights, up level of )
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- on behalf on me: the expertise I have, and the professional trainers (both Fr and En). Redaction people dealing with aggressive feelings in Wikipedia (Administrators or Arbitration Committee).
- A small group.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense: