Grants:APG/Proposals/2015-2016 round 2/Wikimedia Armenia/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the editintro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
- Wikimedia Armenia's activities will be mainly concentrated on education, reach, community engagement and digitization. The Education Program will help to use Wikimedia projects as teaching tools in more schools of Armenia, thus involving more educators and students in the editing process. Organized Armenian Summer and Winter Wikicamps will gather all teachers and students together promoting the development of wiki projects and wiki community. They will encourage very active students and attract newcomers from different regions of Armenia, thus increasing the reach of wiki movement and the establishment of WikiClubs. With the support of Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation WM AM will continue introducing Western Armenian on Wikimedia projects reaching Western Armenian speaker people from the Armenian Diaspora through various projects. In the framework of Western Armenian project Western Armenian WikiClubs will be established involving local Armenian communities, also there is a WikiCamp ahead in Portugal. The Digitization program will increase the number of Armenian public domain books available in Armenian Wikisource thus impacting on the number of the active editors of Wikisource. To sustain active Armenian speaking wiki community and involve new editors, other community-based projects are also planned. This year WM AM will also provide microgrants supporting Armenian wiki community groups and individuals in their projects and initiatives. To increase international involvement Norwegian-Armenian collaboration will be organized with Wikimedia Norge.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: «Վիքիմեդիա Հայաստան» գիտակրթական ՀԿ
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 07/01/2016-06/30/2017
- Currency requested: AMD
- Name of primary contact: Lilit Tarkhanyan, David Saroyan
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||134,200,250||273,769|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||94,984,564||193,769|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||58,997,428||123,895|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members / contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Armenia often organizes meet-ups and discussions with Armenian editors of Wikimedia projects, as well as with the organization members where we discuss the needs of the community, what steps to undertake for further development of our wiki community, what are the best ways to involve new editors and sustain already active ones, etc. Besides these in-person meetings, different discussions are held via social networks which are one of the main ways of informing the editors about WM AM ongoing projects.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan and separate annual plans for the current and/or proposed funding period, if you have them. A strategic plan is required.
Financials: current funding periodEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 for most organizations). For organizations new to the APG process, your current funding period is the 12 months before your upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2015 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 66,140,285 138,895 66,140,285 138,895 66,140,285 138,895 Expenses 66,140,285 138,895 24,686,742  51,938 66,140,285 138,895
Table 2 notes:
- 1 - The largest expense of WM AM budget is Wikicamps, which will be held later this year.
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, please include your targets for each of the global metrics in this table. All global metrics are required (except the optional metric for total number of images/media uploaded), but you may list a target of zero if there are metrics you do not expect results for. You are welcome to provide your other metrics in the detailed program section below.
Program (1) # of newly registered users (2) # of active editors involved (3) # of individuals involved (4a) # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages (4b) # of new images/media uploaded (optional) (5) # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects (6) Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects Education program 45 180 240 2,000 100 20,000 65,000,000 Wikiseminars for teachers 80 25 90 100 80 250 2,000,000 WikiCamps 30 150 360 1000 560 9400 15,500,000 WikiClubs See Education program Western Armenian 20 25 50 200 50 1000 5,000,000 Digitization 0 40 40 30 30 100 6,000,000 Community support 30 50 180 700 50 1100 5,000,000
Table 3 notes:
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- Be sure the objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, or provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram.
As stated in the bylaw of WM AM, The supreme body of Wikimedia Armenia is the General Assembly, which has a right to make a final decision on any question related to the activities of the organization. WM AM consists of a Board and the President. The Board has 7 members.
It is proposed to have 5 staff members in the upcoming funding period. 2 staff members (0.75 FTE each) will be funded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and will solely work on the "Western Armenian Wikipedia" project and on other activities related to the project (connection with GCF, finances, grantmaking, reporting etc.). 3 staff members (2 X 0.75 and 1 X 0.5 FTEs) will work on other Wikimedia Armenia projects. It is planned to maintain the positions of administrator and program manager and add event organizer's position (0.5 FTE).
The Western Armenian project coordinators' responsibilities are:
- Implement and coordinate Western Armenian project activities;
- Lead operational implementation of the Western Armenian project and its activities;
- Assess and report the project;
- Support external communications with Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and other persons related to the project.
The administrative employer's responsibilities are:
- Set up and maintain electronic and paperwork for WM AM and its programs;
- Support external communications including (but not limited to) the general public, local and international NGOs, the media, etc.
- Administrative employee is also the Education Program leader and coordinator.
The program manager's responsibilities are:
- Lead operational implementation of WM AM projects;
- Structure and coordinate WM AM projects activities;
- Guide volunteers in their work.
The event organizer's responsibilities are:
- Organize wiki workshops, seminars, meetings and events (including preparation of invitations, agenda, travel booking, etc.);
- Manage relations with different organizations and individuals to attract interest for the project's goal.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you will have hired by the end of the current funding period, and staff you will have hired by the end of the proposed funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Program Manager 0.5 0.75 The staff FTE has changed with 0.25% because a lot of programs are planned and the amount of work to be done has increased. Administrator and Education program coordinator 0.5 0.75 The staff FTE has changed with 0.25% because a lot of programs are planned and the amount of work to be done has increased. Event organizer 0 0.5 New staff (Wikimedia Armenia needs event organizer's position, a person who will be mainly responsible for the planning and organization of such events and activities which will bring new editors into community.) Western Armenian Program manager 0 0.75 New staff (Funded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation) Western Armenian Program manager 0 0.75 New staff (Funded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation) Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 1 4 2 X 0.75 FTEs are now officially funded by CGF
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization project to spend on staff during the current funding period, or in the twelve month period before your proposed grant will start (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
- 6,889,728 AMD (14,468 USD)
- 4. How much does your organization expect to spend on staff during the proposed funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016), in currency requested and US dollars?
- 13,812,864 AMD (28,178.24 USD) (WMF) - 10,368,000 AMD (21,150.72 USD) (Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation)
Financials: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
Revenues: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Does your organization plan to draw on its operating reserves during the upcoming funding period to support its expenses? If so, please provide the amount you intend to draw from your reserves here. This should not be included as revenue in the table below.
- 2. Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016). Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time. Please feel free to include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, but use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Wikimedia Foundation 94,984,564 193,769 Requested Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation 39,215,686 80,000.00 Guaranteed but estimated because the grant is partly accepted and the exact amount is not known. Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 134,200,250 273,769 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: upcoming year's annual planEdit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the current funding period?
- 2. How much does your organization plan to have in operating reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period?
- WM AM do not plan to have operating reserves in this funding period.
- 3. If your organization plans to use FDC funding to increase your reserves in the upcoming funding period, how much FDC funding will your organization use to build reserves?
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs. These costs do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. For example, program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Program Currency requested US dollars Education Program 6,553,000 13,368.12 WikiCamps 40,244,500 82,098.78 WikiClubs 440,000 898 Western Armenian 28,847,686  58,849.28 Digitization 200,000 408 Community Support 15,654,000 31,934.16 Microgrants 900,000 1,836.00 International Involvement 6,090,000 12,424 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 98,929,186 201,816
Table 6 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds for specific programs, please make a note of that here.
- 1 - Funded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation as stated in the proposal form.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three expenses categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including staff expenses for both staff working on programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 98,929,186 201,816 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 11,090,200 22,624 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 24,180,864 49,328.96 Amount to be added to operating reserves (if applicable) 0 0 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 134,200,250 273,769
Table 7 notes:
- 10,368,000 AMD (21,150.72 USD) from staff expenses is funded by Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
yes Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. Grants for such activities (when permitted under U.S. law and IRS regulations) should be sought from the [[Special:MyLanguage/<tvar|link>Grants:PEG</>]].
I verify that this proposal requests no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation for political or legislative activities yes
Once this proposal is complete, please sign below with the usual four tildes.
Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
- "The Armenian Communities Department Contributes to Armenian Civil Society". www.gulbenkian.pt. Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "President attends opening of Wikimedia Armenia Office and visits Mir TV - Press releases - Updates - The President of the Republic of Armenia [the official site]". www.president.am. Retrieved 2016-03-21.