The countervandalism network
is a distinct group. It is neither
affiliated with nor managed by the
The countervandalism network is managed by three partially overlapping groups of volunteers. The committee-like system described below was designed to centralize management while diluting authority among a diverse group and distributing access in case of absence.
Contacts elected by senior staff consensus represent the countervandalism channels toward Libera Chat. They resolve channel naming or access level conflicts per consensus among staff members, but do not have special authority beyond their positions as staff.
Countervandalism staff have access in all countervandalism channels. They coordinate users with bot developers and hosts, provide technical assistance with regards to access on restricted channels, appoint or remove local operators, and help local operators maintain order if needed. They are usually consulted when the senior staff make decisions.
Senior staff are the administrating authority. Through senior staff consensus, they set global policy, manage channels and technical details, appoint or remove staff members, arbitrate conflicts between users and local operators, and impose or lift global access restrictions on disruptive users.
Countervandalism Network sysadmins have access to our server infrastructure. Sysadmin access may be grant by senior staff consensus. Typically based on demonstrated technical skills.
Local operators have op access on individual channels. They maintain order, manage autovoice access in moderated channels, give restricted bot commands, and perform other channel tasks. (They are listed at Countervandalism Network/Channels.)
Checklist for on-boarding and off-boarding of staff members:
- Update list of names in the relevant sections at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Countervandalism_Network/Management (this page).
- IRC: Grant or remove their staff-related access flags for all channels at Countervandalism Network/Channels.
- IRC: Update channel template at Countervandalism Network/Settings.
- Mailing list: Membership of cvn-private mailing list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/admin/cvn-private/members.
- Sysadmins: Grant or remove shell access via https://horizon.wikimedia.org
- Sysadmins: Update
cvn.maintainersalias by updating https://toolsadmin.wikimedia.org/tools/id/cvn/maintainers/. (See Mail)
- Announce new staff to the (public) cvn-l mailing list!
- IRC: Invite to private channels. (Channels#Management)
- GitHub: Invite as member.