Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Translation/Section translation of the article (desktop version)
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Section translation of the article (desktop version)
- Problem: Translation of a part of an article and continuation of translation by other users is provided in some languages and on the Wikipedia mobile application, but this feature is not available in the desktop version of Wikipedia; Adding such a feature to all languages and the desktop version will increase the translation speed and it is not necessary for one person to translate an article completely alone.
- Proposed solution:
- Who would benefit: All Wikipedia users, especially translators, will benefit.
- More comments: This is actually a suggestion to complete and improve the translation in line with this project.
- Phabricator tickets: phab:T234323
- Proposer: Mohammad ebz (talk) 15:55, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
- Thank you SGrabarczuk (WMF) for highlighting this. This wish has been noted. Also, the phab ticket is open.
- UOzurumba (WMF) (talk) 12:01, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
- Supporting the expansion of articles by translating a section is part of the Language team plans. The initial focus of Section Translation has been on mobile, where the experience was completely new and users didn't had support for translation.
- We plan for both Content and Section Translation to converge over time. For this to happen we'd have to work on the following:
- Adapt the desktop translation editor to edit and publish one section at a time when translating sections (while preserving the current behaviour when working on a new article).
- Unify the Section and Content Translation dashboards. The Section Translation dashboard will become the default for both desktop and mobile, allowing to both create new articles or expand them with sections. The work on the mobile experience of Section Translation is getting the dashboard closer to feature parity.
- Although the experience to select a section was designed to work on a responsive way, small adjustments may still be needed for it to fit well larger screens.
- Pginer-WMF (talk) 15:15, 25 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Meditating (talk) 19:04, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Omidinist (talk) 19:05, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Aca (talk) 15:11, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support daSupremo 22:02, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 23:40, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Raos10 (talk) 02:17, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Glerium (talk) 12:25, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Thingofme (talk) 02:50, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Aimwin66166 (talk) 06:18, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Daniel Case (talk) 21:07, 4 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Darwin Ahoy! 15:04, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support CanadianPeninsula (talk) 15:46, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:49, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support--Vulp❯❯❯here! 09:07, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support —— Eric Liu（Talk） 10:02, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 02:09, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Marcok (talk) 12:54, 11 February 2022 (UTC)