Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Reading/User-defined bookmarks in articles.
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
User-defined bookmarks in articles.
- Problem: Longer articles read on screen are often not read in one go; it therefore might be useful to be able to save the current position (section) in an article; should have to be done actively by the user; who also needs the possibility to remove the bookmark.
- Proposed solution: Add user-manageable bookmarks (at the moment: one per article); and if the user returns to an article with a bookmark, directly jump to the bookmark.
- Who would benefit: People reading longer articles on screen.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Eptalon (talk) 23:50, 21 January 2022 (UTC)
- Could also be useful to editors who want to come back and fix something, but must doe something else first. It would be handy to be able to delete the placeholder in situ, like select opens dialogue box with option keep or delete. This would probably be stored in a cookie or some other user linked place? · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 07:28, 24 January 2022 (UTC)
- There are different ways how to do it technically. Probably the easiest would be an "invisible label", linked to a section of the article. I also recon that it won't be a long term solution, because what if the article noticeably changes before you come back? - Also, I'd probably opt for something stored as part of the "user profile", not as a cookie. This would of course mean that unregistered users would not be able to use the feature. As stated: technical details to be worked out.--Eptalon (talk) 20:22, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- I hope the capability would be both intuitive and dynamic; it's great how some wiki-like software like Confluence will automatically have an anchor link option you can click when you hover on/near a section header (and it disappears when you scroll/navigate elsewhere). = paul2520 (talk) 20:02, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support — Draceane talkcontrib. 22:05, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Earle Bartibus Huxley (talk) 22:31, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Klein Muçi (talk) 00:53, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support TheInternetGnome (talk) 08:25, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support HynekJanac (talk) 17:17, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Kimdorris (talk) 03:53, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Uanfala (talk) 13:53, 31 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Thingofme (talk) 13:43, 1 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support YaCoUYaCoU (talk) 23:53, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Aimwin66166 (talk) 06:07, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Daniel Case (talk) 19:30, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support - Darwin Ahoy! 02:08, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support paul2520 (talk) 20:00, 5 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:26, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support--Vulp❯❯❯here! 08:12, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support —— Eric Liu（Talk） 09:40, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 00:46, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Eric0892 (talk) 02:12, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Juan90264 (talk) 14:04, 8 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 11:15, 9 February 2022 (UTC)