Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Categories/Help to know if an article exists in a certain language from the categories.
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Help to know if an article exists in a certain language from the categories.
- Problem: It is not possible to see from a category if the articles that are there are also in Wikipedia in other languages.
- Proposed solution: Example: I am in a category on Wikipedia in English, for example on American poets, and I want to see which of those articles are on Wikipedia in Spanish. What I can do? I have to click the articles one by one and check if the articles are found in the other Wikipedia. It is possible to find some way that articles that are in other Wikipedia are underlined or highlighted.
- Who would benefit: to all of us who categorize and who use Wikipedia in more than one language.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Igallards7 (talk) 22:51, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Igallards7: It's not integrated with the website, but you can do part of this today with PetScan. In the "categories" tab, set the wiki and the category (for your example, you can leave it at English Wikipedia and put "American poets" in the Categories field), then switch to the Wikidata tab and enter the wiki you're looking for in either the "Has all of these site links" or "Has none of these site links" boxes (for your example, as
eswiki). Does this fulfill your need? Vahurzpu (talk) 23:10, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
- This seems to be already present. For instance, in your example,you could visit this article, and you would see a little list titled "Languages" full of links to the other language's version on the left. (In a more specific case the Wikipedia article for American poets has an English equivalent, but, I guess that's not what you're takling about.) However it's possible it may not be performable on some browsers. Apologies if this is not what you were talking about. Dunutubble (talk) 23:49, 10 January 2022 (UTC)
- en:Wikipedia:Lacmus can help. Carn (talk) 08:48, 11 January 2022 (UTC)
- When I am in Category:Poets from the United States, I see in the bottom left a long list of Wikipedia articles in many languages, 9 directly and another 84 with one click, español is one of them. So it is possible already. I do not know how I got the list, I cannot remember doing anything to get it. --JopkeB (talk) 06:53, 12 January 2022 (UTC)
- I am pretty sure Wikidata has several tools for this that you should ask about over at d:WD:PC. --Izno (talk) 02:00, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Igallards7: I can do the inverse of your request, Find all pages in a category that are not on the source wiki (Its an interwiki article suggestion tool) https://betacommand-dev.toolforge.org/cgi-bin/suggested_articles.py Δ (talk) 12:22, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- @Igallards7: https://betacommand-dev.toolforge.org/cgi-bin/iw_cat.py hacked something together. Δ (talk) 15:06, 19 January 2022 (UTC)
- This tool could help. — Draceane talkcontrib. 23:07, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Omidinist (talk) 18:49, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support --NGC 54 (talk｜contribs) 23:06, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Douglasfugazi (talk) 21:11, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Thingofme (talk) 11:10, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support KingAntenor (talk) 06:01, 2 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Shushugah (talk) 21:22, 2 February 2022 (UTC) A great example are diplomatic missions are often existing but poorly connected/structured, i.e en:Category:Diplomatic missions of Finland
- Support Alice Redhotroof (talk) 11:10, 4 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:09, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Ayumu Ozaki (talk) 05:19, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support DGG (talk) 02:30, 7 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Wikiusuarios (talk) 20:19, 10 February 2022 (UTC)