Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Wikisource/Offer PDF export of original pagination of entire books
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Offer PDF export of original pagination of entire books
- Français: Pouvoir exporter en pdf en respectant la pagination de l'édition source.
- Problem: Presently PDF conversion of proofread wikisource books doesn't mirrors original pagination and page design of original edition, since it comes from ns0 transclusion.
- Français: La conversion en PDF des livres Wikisource ne reflète pas la pagination et le design original des pages de l’édition originale, car la conversion provient de la transclusion et non des pages.
- Who would benefit: Offline readers.
- Français: Lecteurs hors ligne.
- Proposed solution: To build an alternative PDF coming from conversion, page for page, of nsPage namespace.
- Français: Élaborer un outil pour générer un PDF alternatif provenant d’une conversion page par page.
- More comments: Some wikisource contributors think that nsIndex and nsPage are simply "transcription tools"; I think that they are much more - they are the true digitalization of a edition, while ns0 transclusioni is something like a new edition.
- Français: Certains contributeurs de wikisource pense que nsIndex et nsPage sont simplement des « outils de transcription » ; je pense qu’ils sont beaucoup plus que cela – ce sont la vraie numérisation d’une édition, tandis que la transclusion ns0 constitue une nouvelle édition.
- Phabricator tickets: T179790
- Proposer: previous year proposer Alex brollo got voted 57, Jayantanth (talk) 16:03, 26 October 2019 (UTC)
- I think I would have actually Opposed this: I don't want to reproduce original pagination, we have the original PDF for that. For this proposal to make sense, to me, it would need to be about having some way to control PDF generation in the same way transclusion to mainspace controls wikitext rendering. I wouldn't necessarily want to reproduce each original page in a PDF page there (often, yes, but not always), and I might want to tweak some formatting specifically for a paged medium (PDF) that doesn't apply in a web page, or vice versa. In other words, I'm going to abstain from voting on this proposal but I might support something like it in the future if it was better fleshed out. --Xover (talk) 06:03, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 08:28, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 09:27, 22 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Jan.Kamenicek (talk) 10:22, 23 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support JogiAsad (talk) 13:24, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Melroross (talk) 15:20, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 15:28, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support 游魂 16:55, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Une très bonne remarque qui débouche sur une idée pour un outil utile. Conserver la pagination d'origine peut être vraiment important pour certains usages des PDF. / English : A very good remark leading to an idea for a useful tool. Keeping the original pagination can be very important for some uses of a PDF. Eunostos (talk) 20:40, 25 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Geonuch (talk) 05:34, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Bonvol (talk) 20:24, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support This is so critical to unleashing the true power of Wikisource. We are generating a really valuable library behind the scenes, but the public is unable to "check out" our materials in the way many people are accustomed to doing this (e.g., downloading to their e-reader device). People do not generally do long-form reading through a web browser. Pete Forsyth (talk) 23:54, 26 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Mauricio V. Genta (talk) 02:47, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Maitake (talk) 09:55, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support PMG (talk) 13:21, 27 November 2019 (UTC)
- Support Paperoastro (talk) 11:32, 1 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support ਲਵਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਿੱਧੂ ਗੱਲਬਾਤ 11:26, 2 December 2019 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 17:54, 2 December 2019 (UTC)