Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Miscellaneous/Create a dissemination platform for Wikinews
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: People don’t usually go to Wikinews to search for its content. While reading Wikipedia is an active interaction, as we look for the content, reading news is usually a passive interaction on internet. We log on our platforms waiting for them to show us the news. Good or bad, that is a reality.
- Who would benefit: Wikinews community
- Proposed solution: Create a dissemination platform to reach readers on their usual place of interests, social networks. That platform would contain new articles of Wikinews and readers will be shown that. Whether it’s a blog, an App, a social network account, or all of them I am not sure, but Wikinews can’t beat all other medias that already are where the readers are.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: —Teles «Talk to me ˱C L @ S˲» 22:08, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for your proposal, Teles. It sounds like you are asking for giving Wikinews articles more publicity using Wikimedia's social media accounts and official blog. Does that sound correct? -- NKohli (WMF) (talk) 21:49, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
- @NKohli (WMF): It would have to be something specific, like an app or a social media account for that purpose. That would have to be well integrated with on-wiki interface though and that’s the hard one. I know it may not perfectly fit with the purpose of Community Survey but I just wanted to provide food for thoughts for probably the only thing that could save Wikinews.—Teles «Talk to me ˱C L @ S˲» 18:40, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- For your reference 1) Wikipedia home page features 'news section' with events which are over 3 days old whose 5Ws are painfully difficult to identify. Overcoming this problem requires a high degree of cooperation and learning which hinders the development of some of language editions of the Wikinews project. However Russian, Spanish, German Wikinews are productive and prolific and the comments below about sunsettings things are uncalled for in my opinion. 2) I don't think this proposal is about official blog of Wikimedia NKohli (WMF), I think it is about outreach to attract more people so if you know of any outreach experts or people who can do organizing workshops via online means etc it would be great. I am in the process of transforming how newcomers receive feedback on their first edits, however this is a slow process and as of now I am supported in my endeavours by only a small group. Having an expert from Wikimedia movement who could consult me on this would be great. (WM-AU are unsupportive, WM-RU is another language I speak and I have not yet queried them about this; this is on my todo.) --Gryllida 07:46, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 08:43, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Strong oppose I can support a proposal that chooses to terminate a comatose project.Winged Blades of Godric (talk) 08:11, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support NMaia (talk) 10:38, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Benjamin (talk) 10:30, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 01:35, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Vulphere 04:50, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose Sadly, I believe that Wikinews has not succeeded as a project, and therefore promoting it is not a good idea. The project should probably be shut down, but the Wikimedia movement is notably bad at making the hard decisions when it comes to sunsetting things. --Deskana (talk) 11:56, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support interesting idea, poorly discussed at this point to be fair, I would be glad to discuss it in greater detail on-wiki Gryllida 07:36, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sahaquiel9102 (talk) 17:24, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose Victorgibby 03:02, 25 November 2018 (UTC) Wiki Tribune tarde o temprano va reemplazar a Wikinoticias y conserva el mismo formato MediaWiki
- Support — AfroThundr (u · t · c) 03:12, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Oppose PMG (talk) 17:07, 26 November 2018 (UTC)