Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Editing/TemplateWizard in VisualEditor
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: An extension which guides users through the filling-in of templates, called TemplateWizard, was recently deployed in the 2010 WikiEditor. It works neither in 2017 WikiEditor nor in VisualEditor ('cause they are based on the same code, I guess). In the VisualEditor, there is a native widget, which does a very similar job like the TemplateWizard, just isn't that user-friendly and that nice. I can't possibly understand, why there are two code-wise completely different solutions for one problem, which should have only one UI solution.
- Who would benefit: All users who switch between editors – nowadays they face different UI with different abilities for the very same purpose.
- Proposed solution: Just join them! And use the newer one! So implement the TemplateWizard into VE!
- More comments: Already discussed here and mentioned above in #Intra-template VisualEditor
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: YjM (talk) 00:35, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- The VE template editor supports a lot more use cases than the wikitext one, specifically editing existing templates on the page, and editing multi-part templates such as tables built from multiple templates. The VE template editor works in the 2017 wikitext editor as well. It would not be possible to use the TemplateWizard in VE as it in based on editing wikitext directly, not Parsoid HTML, but ideally the UIs would be more similar. ESanders (WMF) (talk) 13:50, 10 November 2018 (UTC)
- This is a great a idea. I think there could be a categorized template system or framework for different article types with pre-polluted instructional and example content to aid in producing/constructing better quality articles. The instructional sample content could advise editors on how to justify data or information and how to better qualify sources. Bab-a-lot (talk) 16:29, 11 November 2018 (UTC)
- I want easier way to make Template, taxobox, infobox, table, etc RIT RAJARSHI (talk) 18:37, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Jeroen N (talk) 23:30, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:43, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Theklan (talk) 18:11, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Waddie96 (talk) 07:55, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Lord van Tasm (talk) 13:53, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Hispalois (talk) 22:32, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 00:41, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Jooojay (talk) 03:55, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Want easier ways to make tables and infoboxes. RIT RAJARSHI (talk) 18:34, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support DannyS712 (talk) 20:04, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Ranjithsiji (talk) 22:41, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Daniel Case (talk) 04:16, 28 November 2018 (UTC)