Community Wishlist Survey 2017/Wikidata/Stop using string datatype for linking to pages on other projects
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Currently some statements with links to pages on other projects, like for example Commons category (P373), are stored as a string datatype. That creates several types of issues:
- prevents automatic detection if the pages actually exist
- non-uniform storage format (spaces vs. underscores in page name) makes it hard to detect duplicates
- lack of integration with page moves and deletions
- Many of the above issues are being managed through property constraints, but the maintenance would be much simpler if the underlying datatype was more similar to CommonsMedia datatype or to the sitelinks.
- Who would benefit: maintainers who work on keeping those links up to date. Currently there is a big backlog of constraint violations for many properties holding links to Commons pages.
- Proposed solution: There are several possible solutions:
- More comments: List of current properties which would be affected:
- Translations: none yet
- You know, this would be fixed if Wikidata didn't need an unhealthy dose of including categories on pages about topics, and instead managed these through item statements to category items. But, you know, the world might melt from climate change before that happens. --Izno (talk) 03:24, 16 November 2017 (UTC)
- Izno This is not about about article-items and category-items, but about how we save links to pages on other projects. String datatype just does not work well for that purpose. --Jarekt (talk) 13:37, 16 November 2017 (UTC)
- Move/deletion integration seems problematic. How would you act on a page being deleted and undeleted? Or deleted and rewritten? Or a noticeboard page being moved because someone prefers that method of archival? --Tgr (WMF) (talk) 04:02, 20 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 13:29, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Thomas Obermair 4 (talk) 23:16, 28 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Donald Trung (Talk 🤳🏻) (My global lock 🔒) (My global unlock 🔓) 13:03, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support Marsupium (talk) 20:49, 29 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Jarekt (talk) 13:17, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support Higa4 (talk) 08:43, 5 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support --Herzi Pinki (talk) 14:06, 5 December 2017 (UTC)
- Support JAn Dudík (talk) 07:51, 6 December 2017 (UTC)