- Note: Promotion & Translation subcommittee was splitted into two subcommittees in August 2006: Promotion subcommitee and Translation subcommittee. See also Communications committee.
The Babylonian #0 : June 30Edit
Welcome to issue 0 of The Babylonian (temporary name), the WMF promotion & translation subcommittee update from the month of June. Thanks to all who cooperated on the latest translation burst; including press releases, FAQ, and sitenotices.
- Thank yous
- About this update
- Original: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
- Now available in: English, Czech & Slovenian; French is almost done, too (on meta).
- Requested in: all languages, especially Ar, Es, It, Ja, Pl, Tr, Zh
- Workplace: see subpages of http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy
- Description: The new policy will be official on July 1st, and is linked
from every Wikimedia wiki page.
/* Wikimedia Executive Director FAQ */
- Original: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Executive_Director_FAQ
- Now available in: English (original), Spanish and French
- Requested in: Ja, It, Pl, Zh; also in others
/* Wikimania site translations */
- Main Page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/Wikimania/Main_Page_2
- Now available in : English, Japanese
- Other pages and messages are also requested for translation. See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/Wikimania
You can find other requests, new and old, on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests
/* Fund drive banner campaign */
- Ideas for a text banner campaign for the next fund drive are requested.
This is a new idea that might work with or without a banner server (more easily with; Amgine has been pushing for this)
Promotion & Translation newsEdit
- You can now send translation related email to the Promotion & Translation
Subcommittee; our address is translator (at) wikimedia (dot) org. IRC contact is available on irc://freenode.net/#wikimedia-translation
- There are efforts to produce web-banners for Wikimedia projects in many langugaes, that websites can subscribe to to support the projects; text notices about wikiprojects and events, small images, &c. You can suggest or link to suitable banner images or text on meta.
- Facing increasing needs for help in this sphere, we as always invite other Wikimedians to participate; english competence is preferable, but not required. If you are interested in promotion or translation activities, you may want to give a look to our pages on meta -- our parent communications committee and its subcommittees:
- Wiki[m|p]edia needs good poster designs; the latest comes via Catherine Munro :
http://www.cafepress.com/brightplaces.62248324 ideas for variations on the theme, and translations of it (perhaps into a more familiar poetic form in each language) as well as quite different types of posters, are welcome.
- See also the Poster design group, and leave comments there.
There are no proper words to describe your contributions and thank everyone: there are too many people and too many works to list in short. For example, the sitenotice translation for Wikimania: from its release in one language, within 24 hours, there were 21 language versions of the sitenotice, and in the end close to 30. The French team are quick starters, and have begun to prepare their version for the latest notices within a day; good team work was shown too, among the Spanish translators with their careful translation processing with several reviews and corrections; localisation efforts on the Wikimedia Foundation site by Vipuser from the Chinese Wikipedia...
Your vigorous involvement continues to empower other contributors looking for this information!
On these updatesEdit
- This is a newsletter of the Promotion & Translation subcommittee. Its content is released into the public domain. It is temporarily called The Babylonian; after the mutlilingual nature of sharing and promoting the projects. Other name ideas are welcome!
- Its editors are subcommittee members, contributing as individual volunteers. Submissions or notes about related initiatives are welcome on the talk page: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Communications_subcommittees/Trans (modified --Aphaia 05:03, 7 September 2006 (UTC))
- Editors of this issue : Aphaia, Sj