The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has released a new resolution on branding work by the Wikimedia Foundation. Please read the full text of the resolution here.
2021 Board Update
Cross posted from Wikimedia-l
I am happy to share with you that the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has passed a new resolution on the topic of branding . Some context As you may remember, last year the Board paused all work under the 2030 Movement Brand Project, in order to rethink and improve the Foundation’s approach to community participation and decision making around renaming. After year-long work, attentive listening and thoughtful conversation between the Board, Wikimedia Foundation staff, and community advisors, the committee has come up with a recommendation for next steps. The recommendation was unanimously approved by the Board and captured in the above mentioned resolution. The Wikimedia Foundation will therefore be resuming its role to steward and protect Wikimedia brands, in partnership with our broader movement, and the ad hoc Brand Committee concludes its work .
What are the main aspects of the resolution?
要点としてこの決議により、ウィキメディア財団の名前変更作業を今年度は進めるべきではないという理事会決議が延長されることです（少なくとも2022年7月まで）。その代わりに財団に指示し、ブランド活動の3つの主要分野を世界中で展開して、ウィキメディアの評価を守り支え、ウィキメディア運動を支援するよう求めています。この決議の詳細は、Diff 公式ブログ  をご一読ください。
Wikimedia Foundation teams intend to share more information on new projects, including their plans for engaging our community, in the coming weeks. In the meantime, Foundation staff and I are available to answer clarifying questions on the Wikimedia brand / 2030 movement brand project talk page on Meta . You are also welcome to join the Board’s Open Meeting on October 20th, where you will be able to ask questions and hear from the team directly .
理事会を代表し、ブランド委員会に寄与されたコミュニティ助言者の皆さんに謝意を表します。同グループとは2021年2月より共同作業にあたり、時間と専門性を供与いただきました。この過程に関連してご教示いただいたことは何ものにも変え難く、当方の生産的な進路探しに貢献していただいたことをありがたく思います。お名前をあげて-- Lucy Crompton-Reid、Joao Alexandre Peschanski、Megan Wacha、Justice Okai-Allotey、Rachmat Wahidi、Erlan Vega Rios、Richard Knipel、Phoebe Ayers、Jeffrey Keefer の各位に深謝新車申します。
I would also like to thank our Brand Studio team at the Wikimedia Foundation for their hard work, dedication, professionalism, flexibility, openness, and vision they brought to our joint work on the future of branding.
Together, we made sure that the next steps for brand work are closely connected to our 2030 strategic goals and we have no doubt they will be an important service to the Wikimedia movement. I look forward to watching these plans come to life and invite the community to actively participate in these discussions and decisions as they unfold.
Shani Evenstein Sigalov Chair, Brand Committee Board of Trustees, Wikimedia Foundation
-  https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Resolution:Next_Steps_for_Brand_Work,_2021
-  https://diff.wikimedia.org/2021/10/14/wikimedia-foundation-board-of-trustees-new-resolution-on-branding/
-  https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Communications/Wikimedia_brands/2030_movement_brand_project
-  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Community_Affairs_Committee/2021-10-20_Conversation_with_Trustees
2030 Movement brand project summary
Our free knowledge projects are created by a global movement. Since 2003, we have used the term “Wikimedia” to refer to this movement. However, after 15 years, the name “Wikimedia” remains unknown and confusing to the outside world. This may make it an ineffective tool for explaining who we are, demonstrating the impact of our work, and inviting new people in. The 2030 Movement Brand Project is creating a proposal for movement names and designs based on our best-known brand.
The proposed movement brand will consist of a naming convention and design system for the movement, affiliates and the Foundation. All communities and affiliates are invited to get involved in its development. If the proposed brand system is approved by the Board of Trustees for use, it will be adopted by the Foundation and it will be available for affiliates to opt in based on their needs.
個人やプロジェクト、技術やコンテンツ、価値の面でエコシステムをどう把握しますか？ たった一つの名前でそれを表せるのですか？ あるいはデザインとして？
In 2003, we started using “Wikimedia” to describe the interconnected knowledge across projects as well as the communities and affiliates who make that knowledge available. But we learned, based on research, that “Wikimedia” is not a name that is well-understood or recognized by many people around the world.
This disconnect impacts our ability to fulfill our 2030 strategic direction: if the world does not know who we are, how can we guarantee that anyone who shares our vision can join us? If the world does not understand our movement’s interconnected projects and communities, how can we become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge? Creating a compelling, unified brand will communicate who we are and what we do, inspiring people of all backgrounds to join us and helping us reach our shared movement goals.
This project has the objective of evolving our movement brand in order to clarify who we are, simplify entry points for newcomers, and grow participation. The development of this project is informed by the qualities for good movement branding that emerged in the 2019 research and consultation (see below), and integrates new feedback as the project advances.
The brand system to be proposed will consist of a naming convention and brand design. The brand design is expected to include logos and design styles such as typefaces, colors and ready-to-use templates. This brand system, if approved for use, will be adopted by the Foundation and will be available for affiliates to opt in. It will not propose changes to the content projects.
This project supports the Brand Awareness priority in the Wikimedia Foundation's medium-term plan.
In 2019, the results of the 2030 research and planning community review presented six qualities/criteria surfaced by the community review that should guide the 2030 Movement Brand Project.
These qualities are also being referred to as the seven Movement Branding Criteria.
- Branding should reduce confusion about the distinction between organizations and projects, clearly identifying what roles platforms, volunteers, affiliates, and the Foundation play in the movement.
- Branding should protect and improve the reputation of the movement, increasing trust in our content and contributors.
- Branding should benefit all projects, so that Wikipedia's international popularity and centrality to our movement are used to improve usage and participation in related projects.
- Branding should mitigate legal and government risks to movement participants and affiliates, so that volunteers are not blamed or punished for project content in places hostile to project content and our policies of free speech.
- Branding should grow our movement by appealing to new users, contributors, donors, and partners around the world, and inviting them to join us in our 2030 direction.
- Branding should be adaptable and adopted gradually, allowing community groups to opt-in to the system in a way that is personalized and localized, at their own pace, with support from the Foundation.
Several of these points have been reinforced in 2020 by the volunteer-initiated RfC Should the Foundation call itself Wikipedia, with a seventh quality being added at the conclusion of that RfC:
- The Foundation should not use the name Wikipedia, as a significant majority of the community has found it unacceptable for the Foundation to use the name Wikipedia to refer to itself.
We invite everyone to get involved. We encourage especially the participation of all movement affiliates because they are the target users of the evolved brand system being developed by this project.
A list of past project activities and updates. For a complete list, see the Timeline.
- 2021年10月25日：ブランド事業の責任者ZMcCune (WMF)は明示しました。「（前略）〈運動ブランド事業〉は歴史に名を残すものです。繰り返すことはありません。理事会の2021年決議にはブランド開発とその管理について協働作業の方向性を示しました。」" Special:Diff/22239571
- 2021年09月15日：ウィキメディア財団理事会は決議を受け、現行の名称変更活動を事実上、中止すると決めました。決議：ブランド活動の次のステップ – 「解決済み、ウィキメディア財団は名称変更の可能性を再検討すると決めた場合--2022年7月を開始時期とし--名称変更に関するあらゆる検討はコミュニティと協働して新たな参加型の審議の手順を交えることになる。」
- 2020-10-30: Requests for comment: Should the Foundation call itself Wikipedia closed, with a significant majority of the community expressing it is not acceptable for the Foundation to call itself Wikipedia.
- 2020-10-06: Naming survey feedback report was published on meta and the full report on Wikimedia Commons.
- 2020-09-30: Board update: The Board made public a resolution decided on 2020-09-24: Resolution: Pause of Brand Development Work through 1 March 2021
- 2020-07-28: Foundation board reviews Project history and Timeline, created by the Brand Project team. (Concerns related to the misleading nature of these documents at the talk page discussion)
- 2020-06-22 and 2020-06-26: Board updates on Branding and on next steps released.
- 2020-06-23 and 2020-06-26: Brand office hours. See the report.
- 2020-06-23: Ongoing: A community open letter on renaming has been published and is accepting signatures. For related discussions in the projects see here.
- 2020-06-18: Brand project executive statement released.
- 2020-06-18: Report released on the naming convention proposal presentation.
- 2020-06-16: Ongoing: A community-initiated informal poll on naming issues.
- 2020-06-16 – 2020-07-07: Movement-wide call for feedback on naming convention proposals. Details on the the naming page.
- 2020-06-16: Live presentation of naming convention proposals.
These are rough project milestones and may change.
- Concept development – completed (January to April)
- Naming conventions for discussion (June – July)
- Foundation participation paused through at least March 2021
Every step of the process is documented in the project timeline.
- Brand Network – Guides brand concepting and design process in collaboration with Snøhetta (the project design partner) and Foundation staff.
- Volunteer communities across the movement (cross projects, community lists, and village pumps) – Comments on proposed naming, design, and brand elements to highlight concerns, needs, and suggested improvements.
Wikimedia Foundation (Participation paused through at least March 2021)
- Steering Committee – Informs brand development. Representatives from Fundraising, Legal/Policy, Technology, Product, Finance & Administration.
- Brand Project team – Leads project development and documentation, and coordinates between movement, Foundation, and Snøhetta.
- Executive Leadership and Board of Trustees – Vet and review brand proposals.
Snøhetta (project design partner)
- Leads design work. Crafts brand proposals for Movement review.
- Project blog in collaboration with Snøhetta プロジェクトのブログ
- ウィキメディア2030 ブランド調査 (2017年)
- Wikimedia 2030 Brand strategy proposal (2018年) 「ウィキメディア2030年ブランド戦略の提言」（コモンズのPDFファイル）
- 2030年に向けた調査と計画とプロジェクト概要、コミュニティの評価ならびにこのフェーズにおける詳細の評価結果。 (2019年)
- 新しい読者のブランド認知度調査 & 活動
- コミュニティ主導のコメント募集 (RfC) 、2020年初頭に立ち上げた「財団の自称に Wikipedia を使わせてよいか」
- Foundation board minutes regarding this project このプロジェクトに関する理事会の議事録
- Project history for board review
- Project timeline for board review