Audience research: Process
Through a set of five Audience Definition Workshops, this project has begun to understand...
- Wikimedia Foundation teams’ current perception of their audiences:
- How they define and segment their audiences;
- How well they believe current audiences are being served;
- Wikimedia Foundation’s current approach to audience development:
- How teams gather information about their audiences;
- How teams incorporate information about audiences into their work;
- Challenges to understanding and serving various audiences;
- Gaps in Wikimedia Foundation’s understanding or servicing of audiences that prevent the Foundation from achieving its mission.
This information is helping the cross-functional Audience Development team develop a framework to guide audience research and engagement. This framework will attempt to map audience segments based on factors such as: geography, motivation, behavior, acquisition pathways, barriers to access, workflow, brand awareness, language / reading levels, tools used, communication methods, and how well they are served. Within this framework, we will also identify:
- Strong areas of understanding;
- Knowledge gaps;
- Possible priorities for near-term research and engagement;
- Potential lines of inquiry for audience research;
- Opportunities and challenges for integrating audience research into Wikimedia’s processes;
- Recommendations for mitigating challenges in audience research when implementing through processes and resources;
In the near term, this will help the Wikimedia Foundation…
- Develop a common language and framework for thinking about and engaging various audiences;
- Socialize and communicate framework organization-wide;
- Determine how best to focus Wikimedia time and resources, alongside community efforts, to conduct audience research;
- Guide generative audience research on priority audience segments;
- Define processes for audience development within various product teams.
In the medium term, this will help the Wikimedia Foundation...
- Apply audience insights to organizational and product strategy and development;
- Better integrate audience research and user-centered design approaches in how it develops products;
- Develop communications strategies (messaging, media channels, etc) to increase awareness and improve understanding of Wikimedia products; and
- Develop partnership strategies to improve reach of and engagement with Wikimedia products
- October 2016
- Five Audience Definition Workshops (2 cross-functional and one each with Reading, Discovery, & Editing teams)
- November 2016
- Map of Audience Understanding Today; Create high-level Framework of Audiences & Stakeholders, and supporting tools (i.e., Checklist of Audience & Stakeholder Data, Resources to Build Audience & Stakeholder Understanding)
- December 2016
- Socialize and iterate on map, framework, and tools
- January 2017
- Finalize framework for segmentation to inform generative research; Plan for forward work
- February 2017
- Strategic planning for product generative research
- These workshops were conducted in the weeks of October 17 and 24, 2016, with three product teams (Discovery, Reading, and Editing) and two cross-functional teams.