|Status of the proposal|
That entails those volunteers systematically searching the internet and media archives such as Flickr for PD and CC material wrongly labelled as being "copyright, all rights reserved" and the likes, and notifying the person who wrongly used the label about the problem (using whatever means are provided by the site), along with a link to a small wiki designed exclusively to educate about PD and CC.
The goal is not to threaten those people in any way, and messages sent will never contain any threats, whether legal, moral or personal. Rather, the project aims to educate the many, many internet users who don't worry about rights at all, because they truly don't know jack about them. They might know copyright, but overestimate its reach and/or not be aware that there are alternatives. When being told about the wide world of rights and how copyright alternatives like Creative Commons can promote access to free knowledge they might consider re-licensing most or all of their works.
In essence, what's being proposed is a Wiki that acts as a complement to the Open-source Ticket Request System on Commons. Instead of receiving license information about media on Commons, the idea is to send out license information about media on the internet to those whom it concerns.
Since this would obviously promote both the free access to knowledge and people's awareness of key open content concepts like PD and CC, the proposal is in line with the very heart of Wikimedia's goals.
- An educational Wiki about PD and CC is created
- Volunteers sign up for various tasks:
- Maintaining the core wiki about PD and CC
- Searching for mislabeled media on the web
- Notifying people about mislabeling
- A list of media sources is compiled
- Search volunteers search those sources, adding links to any mislabeled media they find to a list on the Wiki itself
- Notifiers send standardized letters/messages to the people responsible
Examples of mislabeled mediaEdit
Hieronymus Bosch - the Garden of Earthly Delights - Copyrighted?
- Taking into account the location of artinthepicture (Belgium) it's possible.Genisock2 19:30, 6 September 2009 (UTC)
The Mona Lisa - CC Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.0?
- Commons Force
- Wikimedia Outreach, a proposal for a project with which there is some overlap