The Black Lives Matter movement has inspired people around the world, including Wikimedians, to engage in discussions and actions on racial equality and justice.
Many of us are struggling with our outrage over the brutality being experienced by black people, and we sometimes feel unsure how to bring actual change. The circumstances surrounding COVID-19 have made it increasingly challenging to meaningfully engage in productive efforts.
As Wikimedians, we have a unique opportunity to contribute and share access to the world’s knowledge on the issues, culture, and history which have resulted in the need to remind the world that black lives matter. We know that knowledge is power, and providing people with accurate and reliable knowledge to engage in discussions and inform their actions is an important responsibility.
There are many ways you can and should take action. One of them is to contribute to the world’s understanding on why it is long overdue for us to stand united in disseminating the knowledge and resources that help to protect black lives and futures.
Please expand on this page ways that people can learn, discuss, and contribute via Wikimedia projects.
Content to help you explore this issue further.
This is only a small fraction of the people who have suffered violence at the hands of police or white US Americans, primarily those whose killings led to widespread protests.
Organizations and resources which can help you engage in discussions.
Ways you can contribute and help improve content on this topic.
Upload media to Wikimedia Commons:
- Expand existing articles:
- Create new articles:
Contribute new data to Wikidata:
Translate existing articles into other languages:
Organized groups you can join and support:
- AfroCROWD Events Page / General AfroCROWD User Group Info
- Black Lunch Table
- Whose Knowledge?
- WikiProject African diaspora on English Wikipedia
- WikiProject Black Lives Matter on English Wikipedia
- WikiProject Noircir Wikipédia on French Wikipedia
- WikiDonne's subproject Black Lives Matter on Italian Wikipedia
Campaigns and events
- Wiki Loves Pride 2020 on Italian Wikipedia
- AfroCROWD Wiki Juneteenth Weekend, Friday June 19, 2020 main event 4:46–6:46 PM, with Wiki coach editing sessions Saturday June 20, 8:46 AM – 8:46 PM on Zoom
Resources from outside Wikimedia projects which you may find helpful. Please note, this is not an exhaustive list.