Amical Wikimedia/February 2012
February 2012 (Catalan)
- The registration period begins for Viquiescoles (Wikischools), which aims to bring the Wikipedia to the classroom such that students in compulsory secondary education (ESO), vocational training programs (Cicles Formatius) and post-compulsory secondary education (Batxillerat, i.e. A-levels / senior high) are encouraged to write articles on a variety of topics through a contest and awards for the best contributions. Some 250 students from a total of 15 schools will participate.
- February 10. Creation of the WikiEducació (WikiEducation) mailing list on Wikis in the educational sphere. The list is open to anyone interested. Administrators: Dvdgmz & Paucabot
- February 25. Introductory course to the Wikipedia and its educational potential at the Garraf Center for Pedagogical Resources (Centre de Recursos Pedagògics del Garraf), with a total of 125 attendees. The presentation went over the possibilities and advantages this tool offers for the schoolroom, i.e. teaching democratic values and a critical spirit, making students active knowledge builders, lending them motivation or serving as a tool to work on basic skills, among others. See Note (in Catalan). Barcelona & Kippelboy
- February 29. "Local Museums + Wikipedia = Educational Success": meeting of Wikipedians, professors and education professionals in the museum sector at the Catalonia Railway Museum. The aim of the meeting was to explore ways of collaborating. Two presentations were made in the morning on different examples of successful GLAM-WIKI projects and the Wikipedia's educational potential. In the afternoon, groups met in the train cars on exhibit at the museum to propose activities involving the Wikipedia that would be suitable for their museums. See Note, the photo gallery and the museum's opinion of the event. Barcelona and Kippelboy
- February 3. Meeting with the Joan Miró Foundation to discuss opportunities for collaboration in 2012 and prepare the Mobile World Congress and QRpedia campaigns. Kippelboy
- February 6. Meeting with the CCCB to discuss the I+C+i symposium on the influence of the Wikipedia and open knowledge on society, to be held in April 2012. Kippelboy
- February 9–13. Attended GLAMCAMP Washington DC, explained the Catalan situation and provided a Catalan point of view at GLAM-WIKI and Wiki Loves Monuments 2011. See Presentation and photo gallery. Kippelboy
- February 15. Meeting with the Girona Cinema Museum to begin collaboration on contents through implementation of QRpedia. Arnaugir
- February 16. Meeting with the National Art Museum of Catalonia to discuss possible GLAM-WIKI collaboration. Kippelboy
- February 23. Meeting with Mozilla to seek synergies for GLAM-WIKI collaboration and Hackasaurus. Kippelboy
- February 23. Presentation of QRpedia at the Joan Miró Foundation at the Social Media Point congress in Barcelona. See Note. Kippelboy
- February 27-29. Mobile World Congress. Backstage pass to the Joan Miró Foundation and meeting with Wikipedia Mobile and QRpedia teams. Kippelboy
- February 17. Workshop at the Antoni de Martí i Franquès Secondary School in Tarragona. See Note. Lluis_tgn
- February 6. Editing course for students doing internships with the Visual Artists Association of Catalonia (Associació d'Artistes Visuals de Catalunya - AAVC). Pilot collaboration project between the Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art (Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona), universities, the AAVC and the Wikipedia. Kippelboy
- February 1. Meeting with the General Directorate for Linguistic Policy of the Catalan Government.
- February 8. Visit to the Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco. Report on www.digital-commons.net Lilaroja
- February 8. Meeting with the Department of Social and Family Affairs of the Catalan Government to evaluate the outcome of the workshops for the elderly carried out in 2011 and set out the program for 2012. Gomà i Pallares
- February 9. Meeting of the Catalan Alliance for Open Knowledge and Open-Source Software (Aliança Catalana pel Coneixement i el Programari Lliures), where an initial joint activity is planned regarding Open Data using the agreement established between Amical Viquipèdia and the Catalan Government. Attending the meeting were Softcatalà, Mozilla, Caliu and Amical.
- February 14. Meeting with Angelique Pinon, head of projects for the Pyrenees-Mediterranean Euroregion, to present a euroregional project going beyond Wiki Loves Monuments. Gomà & Àngels
- February 15. Meeting with the Baix Llobregat County Center for Studies (Centre d'Estudis Comarcals del Baix Llobregat). Pallares
- February 15. Meeting with the Culture Commission of the Cardona City Council to develop a project involving Viquiescoles (Wikischools), Wiki Loves Monuments and QRpedia. Beusson
- Progress made on the Wiki4HE project. We now have a rough draft of the survey for professors at the Open University of Catalonia (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya - UOC) and the Technical University of Catalonia (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya) as well as the interview script. In addition, a form has been created to document experiences in Wikipedia application and the profile defined for the research assistant to be contracted for the project. The call for candidates for the position will soon be announced. The position is a part-time, remunerated job as research assistant at the UOC for a duration of 18 months or so. Gomà
- The Catalan Cinema WikiWeek (Viquisetmana del Cinema Català) was held before the 4th Gaudí Cinema Awards. All in all, some thirty-odd articles on filmmakers and nominated films were created or improved. Davidpar, Pallares
- Amical Viquipèdia, together with the Wikipedia in Catalan, provides support for and participates in disseminating the Catalanitzador per a Windows tool by Softcatalà, which helps users who so wish to get their computers and programs to be in Catalan. Davidpar
- Wikitexts in Catalan reaches 10,000 revised pages and is now in 9th position worldwide. See Press Release
- The technology blogs, Paella de Bits.cat and Betes i Clicks publish articles about the presence of QRpedia at the Mobile World Congress. Davidpar
- The Facebook page is updated to the new "timeline" design.