|Summary of my conversations with community members||
|Section 1: Planning Stage||
Planning an Outreach requires a number of tasks that should be implemented. These tasks could include:
|Section 2: Communication Stage||
|Stage 3: Preparation Stage||
|Stage 4(a): Conducting Stage I||
Show them this sweet short 1mn 23sec video: http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nice_People_MEDIUM.ogv. They will get to see community members from different parts of the world contributing to Wikipedia. Newbies need that human touch.
Encourage them to ask questions and clear any doubts they may have. In this session do not take questions on wiki editing. Inform the participants wiki editing will be handled in session II after the break.
|10 minutes break||
It would be a good idea to give a 10 min break between the 2 parts mainly because of the following reasons:
|Stage 4 (b): Conducting Stage II||
There is no PPT for this session. Entire session is online and hands on.
|Follow up stage||
It's important that we're able to follow up with the participants and provide them all the support they need to know more about Wikipedia and Wikipedia editing. And it's equally important for the participant to be able to get in touch with us if they need any assistance.
|Some more tips||
Repository of Documents in EnglishEdit
Documents and Videos
Repository of Documents in Indic languagesEdit
|Indic Language||FAQ||Outreach letter||Presentation|
|Marathi||Documents||Outreach letter for Educational Institutes||Documents|
|Odia||Outreach letter for Educational Institutes||· ·|
|Create the Attendance Roll||Create a notebook or few sheets of pages with columns for names, phone numbers, email ids, organisation/address. This will form raw material for a Contact List which can be managed by a contact manager. Will help in transition to the planned CRM. Please ensure that everyone's details are in it. Often, this means going around yourself asking people whether their details have been entered and asking others to check. Do a quick head-count & check the number of people whose details you have. Position someone by the door to ask whether persons leaving early whether they have given their data. Be sure to send suitable emails to all who attended the meets. This is often an aspect most communities neglect or do inefficiently.|
|Create a Wiki Page||This Wiki page is created to maintain all details of the session that you're organising including the date, venue, facilitator, presenter, photopgrahs/videos made during the session, to maintain log of no. of participants that attended the session along with their usernames if possible.|
|Create a Facebook page/Google mailing list||Towards the end of the session you'll have to request the participants to join this Facebook page/mailing where they could post messages, queries, comments etc. Keep a close watch on this newly created Google group/ Facebook page and help them by answering their queries promptly.|
|Mail on mailing lists||It will be a good idea to send a mail informing your local community about the outreach session you are organising. Through the list you might get volunteers who could help you on ground or virtually. You could mail on combination of following mailing lists:
|Outreach Follow up||
Sending follow up mailsEdit
Outreach mailer to be used for follow up mails
- This is a mail body which a mentor needs to send to the attendees of an outreach he/she has conducted. It is intended to remind the attendees to "Edit Wikipedia".
- Copy and paste the lines below in your mail body and change the <LANGUAGE CODE> and <LANGUAGE NAME> as per the respective languages, write your name, email in the place of SENDER'S NAME and firstname.lastname@example.org, give the correct date instead of DD MONTH 2012 and send them to attendees.}}
This is how your mail will look like (Assamese used as an example)
Dear ATTENDEE'S NAME,
Thanks for attending the Assamese Wiki Workshop at Tejpur University, on 02 February 2012. I hope you have liked the session and it helped you learn more about Editing Wikipedia.
I am sending this mail to share few important information which will help you to contribute to Wikipedia:
- You can access the Assamese Wikipedia at http://as.wikipedia.org
- Please go to this page (http://as.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Main+Page) to create your new user account. It will help you to keep track of all of your contributions.
- If you have some questions here is a FAQ booklet (http://as.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ) which will answer most of your basic queries. <LINK FOR RESPECTIVE LANGUAGE FAQ BOOKLETS IF AVAILABLE>
- There is a tutorial which might help you to learn how you can edit Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Tutorial (GIVE THE LINK OF THE RESPECTIVE LANGUAGE TUTORIAL LINK IF AVAILABLE)
- If you want to learn about the basics of Wikipedia please go through: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Welcome2WP_English_082310.pdf
- A mailing list is available for interaction between Assamese wikipedians. It is available here (https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikipedia-as). Please subscribe to it and get in touch with Assamese Wikipedians.
Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you require any help regarding starting contributing to Assamese wikipedia.