I, Gray Porpoise, would like to propose a project known as Wikisearch.
- URL: wikisearch.org, etc.
- Type of project: free search engine
- Possible features:
- ability to add websites and modify descriptions
- revelant links to related Wikimedia pages
- page for suggestions for new software features
- index of sites
- easy to use for self-promotion
- issues with website owners who do not want their pages listed
- will not be able to even come close to competing with existing search engines without many dedicated conributors and a long period of time
- Wikia Search experiment, now closed.
I agree! A wiki database for navigating the Internet, uncorrupted by profit seeking corporations is sorely needed!! Is it not the aim of Wikimedia to provide free and equal access for all to information and knowledge? This seems like a perfect project, for wikimedia. The software and development would obviously require much development and discussion but I would think that it should resemble more of a self-organising database than a crawling search engine such as google. (Comment by 126.96.36.199)