Wikimedia UK is the local Wikimedia chapter covering the United Kingdom. It was founded in November 2008, and was approved as a chapter by the Wikimedia Foundation on 12 January 2009. It is also a registered charity, under registered number 1144513.
Wikimedia UK hosts outreach events, such as edit-a-thons and training sessions, around the country where experienced editors and newcomers can contribute to the Wikimedia projects together. We also work with institutions to improve the quality of content on Wikipedia. Learn about some of our initiatives:
- Cultural partnerships (GLAM partnerships) – We partner with cultural institutions up and down the country to help them share the information they hold on Wikipedia and its sister sites.
- Expert outreach – We work with scholars and academics, involving them in contributing their knowledge to Wikimedia projects.
- Education projects – We promote the use of Wikimedia sites as educational resources.
- Training – We run numerous training events to help people learn how to contribute to Wikipedia and its sister sites.
- Become a member – Members play a key role in shaping the future of the Chapter. Membership is open to all and costs just £5 a year.
- Attend an event – We organise and support events all over the country; why not go to one near you?
- Apply for a grant – We offer grants to support members' editing or outreach work.
- – Your donations go towards supporting our events and keeping Wikipedia free and open.
- Strategy meeting 2022-2025
Participants in an edit-a-thon event at the British Library
An event for early career researchers
A Wikipedia Takes Coventry participant