Wikimedians of Slovakia
Wikimedians of Slovakia User Group (abbreviated as WUG WMSK; the official legal name Wikimedia Slovensko, abbreviated as WMSK, former official legal name Wikimedia Slovenská republika) is a Wikimedia user group and a civic association incorporated in accordance with the Act of the Federal Assembly of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic No. 83/1990 Coll. on Citizens Associations as amended to 2020 with its primary mission to support the Wikimedia movement in Slovakia as described in its bylaws. Our intention is to develop our organisation into a Wikimedia chapter.
|Wikimedians of Slovakia|
|Legal status||civic association|
|Founding date||December 16, 2011|
|Approval date||June 25, 2018|
|Key people||see People|
|Mailing list||Wikimedia-SK-oznamy (announcements)|
We have organised number of contests, presentations, speeches, workshops, meetings (including Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2013), carried out some small projects and participated on various Wikimedia conferences. We are collaborating with another Wikimedia organizations and educational organizations, both NGOs and national.
Intentions to start an official user group go back to 2006 but the first strong call for its establishment appeared in beginning of 2011. After nearly a year of meetings, brainstorming and consultations with abroad Wikimedians, we created core team of founders which formed a board pro tempore. A civic association named Wikimedia Slovenská republika was incorporated in December 2011 and our first general assembly took place in March 2012. On the 25th of June 2018, Affiliation Committee recognized us as Wikimedia User Group.
- Wikipedia Asian Month on Slovak Wikipedia (2018, 2019, 2020, 2019, 2021 and 2022)
- Wikimedia CEE Spring (2015, 2016, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022)
- Wiki Loves Monuments Slovakia (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 and 2020)
- Deň finančnej gramotnosti – article writing contest about finance in 2013 and 2014
- WikiGap 2020 and WikiGap 2022 – editathon focused on women and women topics
- WikiEdit Nežná '89 (“WikiEdit Gentle '89”) – editathon focused on the Velvet Revolution (called the Gentle Revolution in Slovakia) and the communist regime in Czechoslovakia
- WikiEdit Slovenská ľudová kultúra (“WikiEdit Slovak Folk Culture”) – editathon focused on the Slovak folk culture
- Opravme rakovinu (“Fix Cancer”) – editathon focused on writting articled about cancer and related medical issues
- Seniori tvoria Wikipédiu – a program for seniors, in cooperation with Mikuláš Kováč Public Library in Banská Bystrica
- WikiOnTheRoad – a program to bring Wikipedia closer to the peripheral regions of Slovakia and their people
- WikiMesto (“WikiCity”) – outreach program for local city/town governments
- Wiki pre študentov, študenti pre Wiki (“Wiki for Students, Students for Wiki”) – school ambassadorial program
- Collaboration with the Monuments Board of the Slovak Republic
- Talks about Wikipedia for teachers and education professionals
- Request for photos from organisations (see Slatinka)
- Organisation of the CEE Meeting 2013
At the General Assembly meeting on the 4th May 2019 the new Board was elected for a two-year period and it was re-elected on the 20th March 2021.
- Audit Committee
At the General Assembly meeting on the 4th May 2019 the new Audit Committee was elected for a three-year period. Lukáš Mikulec (Luky001) was a member of the committee from the 4th May 2019 until the 1st August 2020. New Audit Committee was elected at the General Assembly meeting on the 28th January 2023.
- Patrik Kunec (Armin)
- Jaroslava Dollerová (Jaroslava.dollerova)
Basic principles of organisationEdit
The civic association Wikimedia Slovensko (hereafter referred to as the Association) has three kinds of memberships:
- regular membership,
- supporting membership,
- honorary membership.
The General Assembly (valné zhromaždenie) is the highest body of the Association and consists of all Association's regular members. It convenes at least once a year. Its meeting takes place either as a physical event or as a teleconference while always being open to public. The General Assembly has exclusive right to:
- change and amend the bylaws,
- pass internal regulations (such as rules of procedure),
- pass annual agenda,
- pass annual reports,
- pass annual budget,
- pass annual accounts,
- grant honorary membership,
- elect and recall the members of the Board (predsedníctvo) as well as the members of the Audit Committee (revízna komisia),
- serve as the body of the last appeal against a removal of membership.
The Board is the executive body of the Association. Its duties consist of:
- managing Association's activities in between General Assembly meetings (within legal and organisational boundaries established by the General Assembly),
- preparing and convening General Assembly meetings,
- preparing annual agenda, annual budget, annual accounts, and annual report drafts to be considered at the General Assembly meeting,
- handling membership applications,
- carrying out accounting and records management.
The Board is led by the chair elected for the two-year period by the General Assembly. The General Assembly also elects at least one Vice-chair, also for the two-year period. Both the Chair and Vice-chairs are statutory bodies of the Association with the full authority to represent the Association before the public authorities and other organisations.
The Audit Committee is the supervisory body with at least two members who are elected for three-year period by the General Assembly. Its duties include:
- monitoring Association's compliance with the bylaws and internal regulations,
- monitoring Board's compliance with the General Assembly resolutions,
- overseeing the financial management,
- handling appeals against a removal of membership.
The Board may establish and transfer a part of its powers to a team (working team, project team or organisational team). A team is considered an organisational unit of the Board and is subordinate to the Board. Teams are usually establish in order to carry out certain programs, projects or events.
The Board also may establish the Secretariat and hire paid staff to manage its day-to-day agenda but, as of February 2022, it have not done so. WUG WMSK is still a full volunteer organisation.
- WMSK on Slovak Wikipedia
- WMSK on Wikimedia Commons
- Membership application