Wikimedia Polska/Plans for 2014
Plans of Wikimedia Polska for 2014
Following plans are written as a starting point for talks with Wikimedia Foundation about allowing us, Stowarzyszenie Wikimedia Polska, to use central and site notice banners on Polish Wikimedia projects for our 1%-tax deductible donations collecting campaign or to be able to link our fundraising page from the main fundrising page of Wikimedia Foundation between March 1st - April 30th, 2013.
The plans are based on prelimary budget for 2013/2014 approved by General Assembly  of Wikimedia Polska with some updates approved by The Board of Wikimedia Polska.
As it is shown in our report (link), the main source (?$) of income for Wikimedia Polska are 1% tax deductible donations. According to the Polish tax law, Polish taxpaying individuals can choose one and only one NGO with tax deductible status to donate it with 1% of their income tax. This is conducted via an income tax form, which taxpayers have to fill each year from January 15 till April 30 and does not bring any additional costs nor difficulties for donors. See our chapter report 2011 for more details regarding this system.
Be reminded that this system can be used by a Polish entity only - potential Polish donors can only support WMF by their non-tax deducible donations. Moreover, the tax-deductible status needs to be recognized by Polish state and Wikimedia Polska meets this obligation.
In 2011, 2012 and 2013 Wikimedia Polska and Wikimedia Foundation had an agreement – similar to the general fundraising agreement for chapters but slightly adjusted to unique situation in Poland. The 2013 agreement has been signed on January 14 2013. See:  and
Content creation projectsEdit
- Wikiexpedition - 80 000 PLN
- Wikiexpedition is an expedition around one of the regions of Poland in order to gather documentation (especially photographic) concerning the chosen region. The first Wikiexpedition took place in 2008 and since then it has been subsequently repeated, producing around 3000-5000 pictures a year. In 2014 we plan to make several expedition. The first one in southern Poland/Germany together with Wikimedia Deutchland and the second one using Railways around all Poland with cooperation with Polish Railways. The main cost of the Wikiexpeditions is travel and accommodation. See: 
- Wiki Photo Contests - 50 000 PLN
- Wiki Loves Monuments contest was organized in Poland in 2011,2012 and 2013 In 2012 and 2013 we were the most successful country out of all in terms of number of uploaded pictures. However this year it is not clear if WLM will be organized on international level. Moreover we feel that the participants in Poland are tired as almost all of our monument are already photographed. Therefore we are thinking to switch to Wiki Loves Earth or Wiki Loves Art - or other similar idea. For sure we want to organize big photo contest again.
- Wikigrants - 10 000 PLN
- Wikigrants is our local micro-grant system which started in 2006 and proved to be effective. The typical submissions are for 100-500 PLN, mainly to buy books needed for writing articles or reimburse costs of travel to the museums and archives. VIII eddition of the wikigrants is about to be finished by the end of 2013. We want to continue the project as a IX edition. See .
- Contest for "Free school text-e-books project" - 20 000 PLN
- The aim of the competition is to search, modify and create new illustrations for e-textbooks developed by the Polish government project "Digital School". The idea of the E-textbooks is to create and make available on the CC-BY license electronic textbooks for general education for primary and secondary schools in Poland. E-books are created by professional teams in several Polish Universities. Textbooks needs visual materials (photos, graphics, animations) on free licenses tailored to their content. Many such materials are available in Wikimedia Commons, Flickr, Khan Academy and many other places on the Internet - but to find the proper ones and adapt them to the needs of e-textbooks is a labor-intensive activity. The idea of the competitions would be to encourge Wikipedian/Commoners to search and/or create new visual materials from the lists of needs provided by professional teams of writers. More details:
- GLAM coordinator budget - 10 000 PLN
- We have made some contacts with several museums and archives but the cooperation with them is quite often frozen due to lack of regular contacts and a person responsible for coordination of them. Therefore we want to establish a separate GLAM budget in order to either support substantially the volunteer coordinator (travel and contact costs reimbursements, money for visiting GLAM conferences etc.) or to hire the GLAM coordinator.
- Reserve for new ideas - 30 000 PLN
- Every year the Polish wikipedians present their new ideas for content creation projects. For example in 2013 the idea of As already in 2012 some new proposals on a very early stage have been presented and we keep motivating the community to present their ideas, more to come should be expected. Therefore we need to provide some funds to be ready to finance such novel initiatives.
- Sum: 200 000 PLN
- POTY/WLM exhibition continuation - 20 000 PLN
- POTY movable exhibition was introduced in 2011. The printed reproductions of winning pictures from the years 2006-2012 are presented in publicly accessible places across Poland in order to promote Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia/Wikipedia, Free Culture and Licenses. In 2012/2013 it was presented in 18 Polish cities, and proved to be a good promotion and outreach event also "wakening up" small local communities in cities and towns across Poland. We want to continue the exhibition - probably mixed with the winners of Polish Wiki Loves Monuments. The cost are: shipment of the pictures, printing new ones (if they are scratched), sometimes hiring a space for the exhibition.
- Wikiworkshops - 20 000 PLN
- Wikimedia Polska provides a wikiworkshops for target groups of potential editors. In 2012 9 Wikiworkshops were organized, in 2013 - 14 of them, so we expect to have around 20 of them in 2014. The cost of Wikiworkshops/Wikijams is travel reimbursement for trainers and sometimes cost of hiring the place.
- External conferences/meetings - 5 000 PLN
- We regularly receive invitation for various external conferences and meetings, therefore we want to reserve some money for this purpose.
- Professional PR/press companier
- 20 000 PLN
- Since 2006 we have a volunteer press officer; since 2011 also a volunteers maintaining Internet social media official profiles of Wikimedia/Wikipedia in Poland - they do their job, however mainly in passive manner - i.e. responding to the press inquiries. We want to hire part-time professional PR/press campanier in order to more effectively create positive view of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in main-stream and Internet social media.
- Production of leaflets/brochures/gadgets - 50 000 PLN
- We regularly produce various brochures, leaflets and gadgets such as pens, T-shirts, bags etc. which are used as a promotional material during conferences, meetings, workshops, POTY exhibition etc.
- Reserve for new ideas - 20 000 PLN
- Every year the Polish wikipedians have new ideas for outreach/promotion. Therefore we need some funds to be ready to finance such a unexpected projects.
- Sum: 115 000 PLN
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference - 50 000 PLN
- Polish Wikimedia Annual Conference is about to be organized for the 9th time. This is the main meeting of Polish Wikimedians as well as invited guests from other open content organizations and Wikimedians from neighboring countries. Usually 150-200 people attend the conference. In 2013 the conference is planned to be organized in Lublin.
- Thematic internal workshops - 20 000 PLN
- Thematic internal workshops will be organized when needed by Polish Wikipedia community - it might include photo workshops, workshops regarding improvements of help pages in Wikipedia and Commons, and also workshop/discussion how to deal with newbie editors.
- Public Domain Day - 5000 PLN
- Public Domain Day is a meeting organized by Coalition for Open Education of which Wikimedia Polska is an active member. The meeting is about celebrating end of term o copyright protection of works of people who died 70 years ago and it is a part of World Public Domain Day celebration. It is attended by many people from GLAM organizations, journalist etc. Wikimedia Polska donates traditionally part of the costs of the meeting.
- Other wikimedian workshops (photo, sisters projects etc.) - 20 000 PLN
- We want to organize the smaller dedicated to one subject workshops for editors. Among others we plan to run several photo workshops, workshop for sister projects (Wikinews, Wikisources) and workshop for copyright law related issues and workshop for GLAM cooperation.
- Local meetings - 20 000 PLN
- Every year there are several local Wikipedian meetings organized spontaneously. Wikimedia Polska is traditionally supporting such meetings by covering costs of space and catering.
- Sum: 115 000 PLN
- Wikimania scholarships - 50 000 PLN
- As in previous years we want to donate several scholarships for Wikimania - both for Polish as well as foreign wikimedians. The number of the scholarships will depend of the cost of the conference and travel.
- Scholarships for Chapter's meetings - 20 000 PLN
- We traditionally support general chapters meetings (Wikimedia Conference) by donating several scholarships for neighboring countries. We want to continue this in 2014.
- Scholarships for foreign guests for meetings in Poland - 10 000 PLN
- Every year we invite 3-5 guests from neighboring countries to our Annual Conference and other meetings. We want to continue this tradition in 2014 as well.
- Sum: 80 000 PLN
- Office/wages (renting office space, equipment, Internet access, phone bills, legal advice etc) - 150 000 PLN
- Other (domains, server, travels of employees and board members etc.) - 25 000 PLN
- Sum: 175 000 PLN
Overal planned budgetEdit
|Name||Amount (PLN)||Amount (USD)||%|
|Projects||200 000||65 000||29.2|
|Promotion/outreach||115 000||37 500||16.8|
|International support||80 000||26 000||11.7|
|Operational||175 000||57 000||25.5|
|Conferences/meetings||115 000||37 500||16.8|
|Sum||685 000||223 000||100|