Wikimedia Foundation elections committee/lb
The Wikimedia Foundation elections committee oversees, on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia community, elections to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
Per 17 May 2022, the Committee has the following responsibilities:
- recommend the dates, rules, and regulation of the voting procedures for approval by the Board of Trustees pursuant to Article IV, Section 3(C) in the Foundation Bylaws;
- recommend who is qualified to vote for the Board of Trustees pursuant to Article IV, Section 3(C) in the Foundation Bylaws;
- to the extent possible, consult with the wider Wikimedia community in developing and revising election procedures within the scope of the Charter;
- be a source of information to any member of the Wikimedia community interested in the community-and-affiliate selection processes of the Wikimedia Foundation. The Chair of the Committee can act as a spokesperson for the Committee as necessary; and
- Under the direction of the Governance Committee, take actions as necessary to execute the selection process for the Board of Trustees.
As needed, the Committee may assist with other duties as may be assigned by the Board or the Governance Committee.
The full version of the Elections Committee Charter can be viewed on Foundation-wiki.
Members and advisors serve terms of two years and are appointed by the Board Governance Committee, in consultation with sitting members of the Committee and their advisors.
The committee consists of eight community volunteers alongside advisors from the Wikimedia Foundation.
The 2022-23 Elections Committee had their terms extended in May 2022. Their terms expire on 31 March 2023.
|Name||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term ends|
|AbhiSuryawanshi||en, hi, mr, pa, bn, bho, ur, kok||Various timezones||31 Mäerz 2023|
|Carlojoseph14||tl, en-5, es-1, ceb-1||Philippinnen (UTC+8)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|HakanIST||tr, en-4, az-3, es-2, de-1||Tierkei (UTC+3)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|KTC, Committee Chair||en-N, yue-N||London, England (UTC+1)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|Mardetanha||az-N, fa-N, en-3, tr-2, ar-1, bqi-1, crh-1, glk-1, mzn-1, tk-1||Zandschan, Iran (UTC+4:30)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|Masssly||en-3, ha-2, ak-1, dag-N||Accra, Ghana (UTC±0)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|Matanya||en, he||Israel (UTC+2)||31 Mäerz 2023|
|Ruslik0||en-3, ru-5||Moskau, Russland (UTC+3)||31 Mäerz 2023|
- Board liaisons
At least two staff members are appointed by the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director to support the committee and additional advisors (staff or volunteer) can be appointed by the election committee depending on their needs with the support of the Board Governance Committee.
Prior to 2016, each community election for the Board and FDC resulted in the creation of a temporary elections committee. On 7 November 2015, the Board of Trustees approved the formation of a standing elections committee. The founding members of the standing committee were announced on 20 July 2016.
Past elections committees
This page is outdated, but if it was updated, it might still be useful. Please help by correcting, augmenting and revising the text into an up-to-date form.
- First with scope beyond just board election
- Standing Election Committee (proposal)
- Private ElectCom wiki
- Appointment announcements: "New Elections Committee" (2016); "Updates regarding the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee" (2017); Wikimedia Foundation elections committee: Call for volunteers (2020)