Wikimedia Community User Group Greece/es
Wikimedia Community User Group Greece is a group of users of Greek Wikimedia projects who are interested in organizing and participating in outreach activities on national level. We have been active for many years already doing among others many educational partnerships, workshops, presentations in free software events (see Fosscomm 2012), Mediawiki Geek Day 2013 or edit-a-thons organized in June 2013 on el.wp as part of the World War I edit-a-thons and later. WM CUG Greece has been recognised as a Wikimedia User Group by the AffCom in July 2013.
|Wikimedia Community User Group Greece|
|Approval date||20 July 2013|
Focus, goals, activities
Examples (not limited) of our goals and activities are :
- To empower and engage members present online on el.wiki projects in offline activities
- Offline presentations and workshops to attract new users and train newcomers
- Online workshops for newcomers and special groups (such as educators and librarians)
- GLAM-wiki projects such as the successfull Thesswiki, cooperation with regional National Archives department for opening content, and workshops for librarians.
- Wikimedia Education Program Greece. There are already enough projects especially in Medical and Mathematical schools of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in cooperation with OKFN-Greece, also Italian Literature department and School of Journalism, but also Second Chance schools and projects with other secondary schools. We plan to go further.
- Address the Gender Gap issue through special projects
- Promote the creation and uploading of new content in all wikimedia projects through thematic article creation marathons and contests and photo competitions such as Wiki Loves Earth and Monuments.
- Cooperationg with other FOSS communities in Greece
- Regular meetings in major cities of Greece for discussions, workshops, editathons etc.
- Creation of Wikimedia Greece chapter in the long run
- Anything that promotes the mission to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally.
See also the original version in Modern Greek
Anyone can join our usergroup, even those who don’t have an account on a Wikimedia wikiproject. Newbies are not only welcome but are encouraged to take part in our events and outreach activities as members on a trial basis. See how you can start learning and at the same time participate in WUG-GR.
However, to participate as a full member in WUG-GR (some things are considered self-evident but it is good to mention them) you should:
- Have participated, being physically present, in one of our meetings of users that have taken place in various cities/places in Greece or to have met one of the members of the user group in person.
- Be an active user on any project of WUG-GR and to continue being an active user as long as you participate to the team. Have a minimum number of edits (greater than 100 total and at least 50 in the last 6 months) in the main namespace, namespace:category and namespace:template on any single Wikimedia Project (in Modern Greek or any other language, though not 100 cumulative edits in all the projects that you contribute).
- You should participate as much as possible in the activities of the group, for example in the organization of events, presentations and workshops, the production of manuals and educational materials or support of the functional needs of the User Group, and so on. Overall abstention from contributions and participation will mean that you lose your rights to participate in the decision-making process of the Group, as well as to have access to administrative resources and materials of the Group.
- Have read and accepted the group’s Member Rights and Responsibilities.
- Your participation is not allowed if you oppose by your positions or actions to the core values of WMF, create functional obstacles to WMF projects, or act in bad faith in the User Group.
- Ρay on time the annual membership fee (as of 2019 it is five euros 5€) (this rule is not applied to students, people with disabilities, people who are doing their compulsory military service, or they are unemployed). The fee can be changed by decision of the User Group and will go into effect the year after the decision was taken.
- WCUG significa Grupo de Usuarios de la comunidad Wikimedia (en inglés Wikimedia Community User Group)
- Este texto es una traducción del texto en griego alojado bajo el título Προϋποθέσεις συμμετοχής στο WM-GR en la wikimedia.gr/wiki. Para cualquier controversia sobre la precisión del significado entre la versión griega y la inglesa, prevalece la griega.
Report on activities
- Contest on adding photos based on Wiki Loves Monuments 2019 (21 October - 10 November 2019)
- 6th Panhellenic Scientific Conference «Ένταξη και Χρήση των ΤΠΕ στην Εκπαιδευτική Διαδικασία». (18-20 October 2019)
- Online lecture to Cypriot Wikimedians on GLAM-Wiki and #1Lib1Ref by Marios Magioladitis (19 October 2019) 
- 5th International Conference for the Promotion of Educational Innovation (11-13 October 2019)
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2019 in Greece (1-31 September 2019)
- Contest on adding photos based on Wiki Loves Earth 2019 (15 - 30 June 2019)
- Official supporter of Voxxed Days Athens (7 - 8 June 2018)
- Wiki Loves E.U. Award Ceremony (22 May 2019)
- Participation in Youth Fair 2019 in Athens (8 May 2019)
- Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in Greece (1-31 May 2019)
- Wiki Loves E.U. (1-9 May 2019)
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2019 (21 March - 31 May 2019)
- Participation in Translat-a-thon/NYC/2019 (1 April 2019, MARKELLOS)
- Wikipedia orientation talk at the Second Chance School of Corfu (10 April 2019)
- 3rd article creation contest on computers and technology (7 - 31 March 2019)
- Wikipedia Lab in Athens (20 February 2019)
- Talk on Wikipedia/IT gender gap by Marios Magioladitis (19 February 2019)
- Erbstuecke: Article creation contest on German culture (1 - 28 February 2019)
- Photo exhibition of Wiki Loves Earth / Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 at Goethe-Institut Athen (1 - 11 February 2019)
- Talk on Safety on internet by Marios Magioladitis (5 February 2019)
- Award ceremony of Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 (1 February 2019)
- Participation in CEE 2019 meeting in Belgrade (11-13 October 2019) (Marios Magioladitis and MARKELLOS)
- Participation in Wikimedia+Education 2019 Conference in Donostia-San Sebastian (6-7 April 2019) (Marios Magioladitis)
- Participation in Wikimedia Summit 2019 in Berlin (29–31 March 2019) (MARKELLOS)
- Online Contest: Meet Republica Srbska 2018 (15 November - 15 December 2018)
- Online lecture to Cypriot Wikimedians on Wikipedia principles by Marios Magioladitis (5 December 2018) 
- Lecture at the School of Medicine (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) by Konstantinos Stampoulis (29 November 2018)
- Official supporter of Voxxed Days Thessaloniki (19-20 November 2018)
- Photo exhibition of Wiki Loves Earth / Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 at Goethe-Institut (16-21 November 2018)
- Award ceremony of Wiki Loves Earth 2018 (16 November 2018)
- Edit party in Sofia (Marios Magioladitis, Georgios Giannopoulos, MARKELLOS)
- Wikipedia Lab 2018 in Thessaloniki (12 & 22 October 2018)
- Contest on adding photos based on Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 (12 October - 31 October 2018)
- Official supporter of Summer School in "Educational Technologies" in Corfu; organised by Hellenic Mathematical Society and Ionian University (29-30 September 2018)
- 2nd article creation contest on computers and technology (10 September - 10 October 2018)
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Greece
- Contest on adding photos based on Wiki Loves Earth 2018 (24 August - 9 September 2018)
- Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Greece
- WikiGap 2018 in Cyprus (8 March 2018)
- Official supporter of Voxxed Days Athens (31 May - 2 June 2018)
- 1st article creation contest on computers and technology (23 April - 6 May 2018)
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2018 (21 March - 31 May 2018)
- Award ceremony of Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 (26 January 2018)
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference 2018 in Berlin (20-22 April 2018) (Marios Magioladitis, Georgios Giannopoulos)
- Participation in Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018 in Lviv (13-15 October 2018) (Marios Magioladitis, MARKELLOS)
- Contest on adding photos based on Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 (23 December 2017 -15 January 2018)
- Official supporter of Voxxed Days Thessaloniki (23-25 November 2017)
- Workshop for adding data about politicians in Wikipedia and Wikidata (Global Legislative Openness Week; in cooperation with Open Knowledge Foundation, EveryPolitician, Vouliwatch; 29 November 2017)
- WikiFemHack in Thessaloniki (7 October 2017; see grant report)
- Award ceremony of Wiki Loves Earth 2017 (9 September 2017)
- Workshop on gender gap in Corfu (10 July 2017)
- Wikimedia CEE Spring 2017 (21 March - 31 May 2017)
- Official supporter of Voxxed Days Athens (18-20 May 2017)
- Talk on gender gap in Athens with the support of To Mov (18 February 2017)
- Thesswiki – Divided Memories Editathon (16 February 2017)
- Wikipedia orientation and gender gap talk at the Second Chance School of Corfu (13 February 2017)
- #1Lib1Ref action in Thessaloniki (1 February 2017)
- National conferences
- Participation in Fosscomm 2017 (4 November 2017)
- Participation in 23rd Panhellenic Conference of Academic Libraries (15-16 November 2017)
- Education Program
- Education Program: School of Medicine (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) (November-December 2017)
- Education Program: Online tutorials for educators.
- Corfupedia (includes 9 online orientation lessons; see grant report)
- Photo contests
- Wiki Loves Earth 2017 in Greece (see grant report)
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Greece (see grant report)
- International meetings
- WikidataCon 2017 (28-29 October 2017)
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference 2017 in Berlin (31 March - 2 April 2017) (Konstantinos Stampoulis, Georgios Giannopoulos)
- Participation in Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2017 in Warsaw (22-25 September 2017) (MARKELLOS and Marios Magioladitis as invited speaker)
- Glavkos gave a #Wikipedia15 talk in Larissa, organized by the local chapter and the Xoriamvos club
- Presentation about Content Translation and Education Program at the Translation Festival during the Thessaloniki International Book Fair
- Participation at the Festival for Solidarity and Cooperative Economy
- ThessHack (Wikimedia Hackathon 2016; 15 October 2016)
- A Saturday for Hybrid Arts & Wikipedia (17 December 2016)
- Translathon (20 November 2016)
- Wikipedia workshops on Open Access Week 2016 (24-25 October 2016)
- CEE Spring 2016 (21 March - 31 May 2017)
- Participation in 2nd She Sharp Edit-a-thon in Thessaloniki (29 May 2016)
- Gender gap: Marios Magioladitis gave a gender gap talk in Athens, organized by the editorial board of female-oriented magazine Telesilla (11 February 2016)
- Education program
- Online Wikipedia courses for Educators (blog entry)
- Marios Magioladitis gave a #Wikipedia15 talk in Corfu, organized by the local chapter of the Hellenic Mathematical Society (HMS)
- Education Program: AUTH, Department of Mathematics, 2015.
- Photo contests
- Wikipedia Loves Monuments 2016 in Greece (see grant report)
- Photowalks in Athens (25 September), Thessaloniki (25 September) and Corfu (23 September)
- Award ceremony on Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Greece (17 December 2016)
- Editathon on Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Greece (10-14 December 2016)
- Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Greece (see grant report)
- Award ceremony and editathon on Wiki Loves Earth 2016 in Greece (1 October 2016)
- Award ceremony and editathon on European Science Photo Competition (2015)
- International meetings
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference 2016 in Berlin (22-24 April 2016) (Marios Magioladitis)
- Participation in Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2016 in Dilijan, Armenia (27-29 August 2016) (Glavkos)
- Wikipedia Lab, series of workshops
- Education Program: Second Chance School for Adults in Corfu (see Newsletter)
- Wikiexpendition by Second Chance School for Adults in Corfu 
- Education Program: AUTH, Department of Mathematics, 2015. Assignment to translate mathematical articles. 
- Education Program: AUTH, Medicine School. Assignment to translate medical articles.
- Thesswiki wikicity project
- Participation in Fosscomm 2015 on 7 November 2015 with a series of presentations (PDF)
- Education Program: Ionian University. Assignment to translate articles about italian culture.
- European Science Photo Competition 2015 (see grant report)
- Participation in Wikimedia Conference 2015 in Berlin (13-14 May 2015) (Konstantinos Stampoulis)
- Participation in Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2015 in Estonia (10-13 September 2015) (Marios Magioladitis)
- Presentation Introduction to Wikidata (in cooperation with OpenThessaloniki group; 27 November 2014)
- Presentation "Wikipedia and people's access to knowledge" (Corfu, 1 March 2014) video on Youtube
- Lecture on Wikipedia, in AUTH's Scool of Journalism and New Media.
- Education Program: AUTH, Department of Mathematics, 2014. Assignment to translate mathematical articles. 137 students - 48 articles 
- Education Program: AUTH, Medical School, 2013. Assignment to create or translate in groups, articles with medical content from a priority list. 6 students - 7 articles 
- Education Program: AUTH, School of Italian Language and Literature, 2014. Assignments to translate articles from Italian. 6 students - 7 articles  - the students will be awarded with a predetermined amount of ECTS-credits
- Participation in Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2014 in Kyiv, Ukraine (19-21 December 2014) (Marios Magioladitis)
- Education Program: AUTH, Department of Mathematics, 2013. Assignment to translate mathematical articles. 130 students - 79 articles 
- Education Program: AUTH, Medical School, 2013. Assignment to translate medical articles. 6 students - 7 articles 
- May 2013: MediaWiki Geek Day 2013: A series of presentations about Mediawiki that was held in Technological Institute of Larissa in 25th May 2013, in Greece
- June 2013: An edit-a-thon promoted by Wikimedia Sverige and organized by our team for the first time in Greece had very encouraging results (12 participants from Greece, 19 new articles written, many articles were improved, at least 17 pictures added to articles and the winner of the prize also was from Greece).
- 10 years of Wikipedia (15 December 2012)
- Participation in Fosscomm 2012 (12-12 May 2012)
- Education Program: AUTH, Medical School, 2012. Assignment to translate in groups of students, articles with medical content proposed in the priority list. 51 students - 21 articles 
- Repeat the Wikipedia Lab, a series of weekly workshops on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata.
- Continue and expand the Wikipedia Education Program.
- Continue Thesswiki