Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2022/Programme/Submissions/“WikiStipendiya” marathon in Uzbekistan
- Title of the submission
The WikiStipendiya marathon in Uzbekistan
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, workshop, lightning talk, roundtable, poster)
- Author(s) of the submission
Wikimedians of the Uzbek language User Group and the Youth Affairs Agency of Uzbekistan
- Education, Community Engagement, Media Outreach, Partnerships,
- Level of advancement (basic, medium, advanced)
- Abstract (up to 100 words)
WikiStipendiya (Uzbek for WikiScholarship) is a large-scale WikiProject aimed at improving content on the Uzbek Wikipedia. The project, which is unprecedented in the region in terms of both its scale and duration, has been organized by the Youth Affairs Agency of the Republic of Uzbekistan in collaboration with the Agency of Information and Mass Communications under the Administration of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Council of Young Artists, and the Wikimedians of the Uzbek Language User Group.
The marathon will last from May 20 until December 20, 2022. Close to US$30,000 has been allocated to award the most active participants with one-off scholarships. Active members of the Wikimedians of the Uzbek Language User Group have taken on responsibility for evaluating the participants' contributions. The marathon has generated significant interest among students and media in Uzbekistan, with several publications running stories about it. Results so far have been outstanding: within the first three months of the marathon, over 30,000 new articles were created on the Uzbek Wikipedia.
Several other sub-projects are being organized within the marathon, including:
- ErkinLitsenziyalar: promotion of open content licenses
- WikiAudio: creating audio articles in Uzbek
- WikiAyollar: closing the gender gap on the Uzbek Wikipedia by creating content on women
- WikiOromgoh: a six-day camp which brought together 150 participants and Wikipedia administrators
- WikiSport: improving sport-related content on the Uzbek Wikipedia
- WikiTaʼlim: introducing Wiki Education to Uzbekistan
- How will this session be beneficial for the communities in the region of Central and Eastern Europe?
We would like to share our experience organizing such a large-scale marathon and discuss lessons learned.
- Special requirements
- Slides or further information
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).