Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2016/Programme/Submissions/Make your own explainer videos with mysimpleshow
Make your own explainer videos with mysimpleshowEdit
Name(s) and/or username(s)Edit
Type of submission (Please choose one)Edit
- Lightning talk
Videos have become a popular format for the dissemination of information - especially short animated explainer videos which provide a quick overview over complex topics.
The same principle applies to Wikipedia: videos can enrich exisiting content and provide an entertaining and easily comprehensible access to free knowledge. Wikimedia Austria wants to contribute to making this format more widely available in Wikimedia projects by supporting the creation of explainer videos under free licenses. Together with experts from the simpleshow foundation we offer workshops for Wikimedians which are designed to learn the tricks of the trade of screenwriting for explainer videos based on cut-out animation.
- Interested participants will learn the basic skills for creating plots of explainer videos: how to explain complex topics in a short and comprehensible way, how to work with cut-out animation, storyboard conception and visualization.
- The participants can create and refine their scripts and storyboards together with the simpleshow foundation after the workshop.
- Depending on the topic & previous research participants can turn their scipts directly into an ilustrated video using “mysimpleshow”-freeware.
- The realization and production of the finished storyboard could be done either using the “mysimpleshow”-freeware or by the simpleshow foundation. The result will be published under the CC-BY-SA license on Wikimedia Commons.
- The screenwriters can use the videos for Wikipedia articles and other purposes.
Duration (without Q&A)Edit
- 10 mins
- Interest in storytelling
- A topic for an explainer video
- First research on the topic (Wikipedia article niveau)
- No previous knowledge in screenwriting or video production necessary
- Laptop with Internet access during the workshop
(Presenter will not be able to attend on Monday, only Friday to Sunday)