- Wikimedia project milestones: Swedish Wikipedia hits 2 million
A brief, one-paragraph summary of the post's content, about 20-80 words. On the blog, this will be shown in the chronological list of posts or in the featured post carousel on top, next to a "Read more" link.
- In the first post in a series celebrating milestones across all Wikimedia projects, we look at some of the projects hitting major milestones over the past month.
- This blog post is the first in a series celebrating milestones across all Wikimedia projects.
The Swedish Wikipedia hit two million articles on September 5, only the second language edition of Wikipedia to reach this milestone. The final stretch was celebrated with a custom-made globe icon, as has become something of a Wikipedia tradition. The two millionth article was "Iro (mountain)", one of many bot-created articles created in the weeks leading up to the milestone; it documents a 1061m-tall mountain in South Sudan.
Jan Ainali, of Wikimedia Sverige, says that the community is aware of the role of bots to reach this milestone, but that it is still to be celebrated. "The community is aware of the special case that [the Swedish Wikipedia] is," he says. "That being said, most are quite happy that the Swedish version is able to serve so much content, and that the feat that Lsj [the creator of Lsjbot] has achieved is huge."
The Urdu Wikipedia community made serious headway on its goal of 100,000 articles, reaching the 80,000 article milestone on September 9. The Armenian Wiktionary has doubled in size in just five months, and is now at over 90,000 entries.
You can read all of the Wikimedia project milestones, and get more information, on the Wikimedia News page on Meta-Wiki.
Other selected milestonesEdit
- September 22
- The Swahili Wikipedia has reached 30,000 articles.
- September 19
- The Armenian Wiktionary has reached 90,000 entries, having doubled in size since April of this year.
- September 17
- The Oriya Wikisource has reached 200 text units.
- The wiki for Wikimedia Estonia has been moved from et.wikimedia.org to ee.wikimedia.org.
- September 14
- The Cantonese Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles.
- September 10
- The Serbian Wiktionary has reached 30,000 entries.
- September 9
- The Urdu Wikipedia has reached 80,000 articles.
- September 7
- The Kyrgyz Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles.
- The Serbian Wiktionary has reached 20,000 entries.
- September 6
- The Malayalam Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles.
- September 5
- The Swedish Wikipedia has reached 2,000,000 articles.
- September 3
- A new interwiki prefix, policy:, has been added to the interwiki map, for linking to the new Wikimedia Public Policy website.
- September 2
- The Min Nan Wikipedia has reached 40,000 articles.
Joe Sutherland, WMF Communications intern
Ideas for social media messages promoting the published post:
(Tweet text goes here - max 117 characters) ---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|------/