Wikimaps User Group/Activity
User group leads / administratorsEdit
The members of the user group can step up as a lead for the group. Propose yourself or someone else, and we can arrange an election if there are several candidates.
The user group also needs to be organised, have working communication channels, some planned activities and governance practices. We can discuss this here!
Activities poll for 2017Edit
Welcome! Let's make the user group a place where it's possible to showcase projects, ask for help and participants for them, and solve questions together.
Here's an initial list of suggestions. Let's discuss how to proceed!
- It would be great to meet online regularly. We can set up an open agenda online with slots for introductions, project presentations, planning and discussion. A good idea? How often? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:49, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
Tasks and responsibilitiesEdit
- When we meet, we can talk about what kind of administration we need. Experienced user group managers' help would be much appreciated! – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:53, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Let's define what the group is trying to achieve in the first year and after. We can use different opportunities for this: Online meetings and documents and live meetings. We can discuss if the user group could run projects and how that would be handled. What kind of collaborations could the user group facilitate? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:49, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
Outreach in 2017Edit
- In which events would this group want to have a birds-of-a-feather meeting? What kind of presentations, workshops or tutorials could be created? Is there interest in a maps and geo focused event such as Wiki Loves Maps as an international concept or a local one? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:53, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Presentations and workshops about the new Wikimedia Maps, Wikidata + OSM, third-party stuff like how to use content from Mapillary and Ajapaik, etc... Let's start as an somewhat local event(like in the past) and see how large the interest is. We should also investigate which grants we could apply for and if any local chapter would like to co-host it with us. --Abbe98 (talk) 09:35, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Whos's going to these events? (add more, anywhere in the world)
- Wikimedia hackathon 19 – 21 May 2017 | Vienna, Austria
- State of the Map France 2017 June 2 to June 4, 2017 in Avignon, France
- State of the Map 2017 Aizuwakamatsu, Fukushima Prefecture, Tohoku Region, Japan. 18-20 August 2017
- Wikimania Montréal, Canada August 9 – 13, 2017
- FOSS4G＋SOTM Argentina 2017 23 al 28 de octubre Instituto Geográfico Nacional, Buenos Aires
- WikidataConOctober 28th-29th, 2017, in Berlin
- 3rd Swiss Cultural Hackathon 14.–16. September in Lausanne, Wikidata event, Maps workshop
- We would produce a workshop (model) and some tutorials about everything maps in Wikimedia
- We would like to showcase the interesting projects that are done. We can use Facebook, the blog and Wikimedia projects for that. Is there need for newsletters and how should we arrange that? What are the most effective means to connect with new volunteers and new partners? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 08:03, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- We want to keep a lively discussion going on. Facebook and the group page for that? There could also be all sorts of little things like notifying the participants in the wiki or a notice board in a prominent place in the user group page. Anyone handy with those? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:49, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- The Facebook group and maps-l? The Facebook group is quite active and have a lot of members and the maps list is where people might expect things to be posted. --Abbe98 (talk) 09:41, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- It would help to know whether comments are welcome on Talk:Wikimaps User Group, or to redirect talk pages (including Talk:Wikimaps User Group/Activity) to the most relevant talk page. --Nemo 09:44, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- Get help, display tutorials. – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:26, 12 March 2017 (UTC)
- I have indicated that this group would be interested in hosting a discussion about movement strategy regarding the topic of interest. Let's plan how to do it! – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:49, 8 March 2017 (UTC)
- An activity under this could also be to work to make maps prioritized more at the discovery team at WMF. Getting <mapframe> deployed sitewide could be a goal for 2017. Ainali (talk) 07:23, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Integration of svg maps with OSMEdit
I would like to integrate some underwater maps I have surveyed and drawn using Inkscape with OSM maps, but I have no idea how to go about it. I am looking for someone who knows how to do it who would be willing to help/explain. · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 07:19, 12 March 2017 (UTC)
- I start thinking about this as a question of how similar efforts could best be served. We could collaboratively come up with the best solution for a mapping help desk / workshop etc. I think it would be good if you transferred this question to the page itself. We might lose track of discussions if they happen both on the page and the discussion page. I will try to create a redirect from this discussion page to the page. Cheers, Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:24, 12 March 2017 (UTC)
Activity overlap with other affiliatesEdit
Most of us are also affiliated with other Wikimedia affiliates, and these groups/organizations may have mapping-related activities and projects of their own. How can we say that an activity/event/project is under the Wikimaps User Group or whether such an activity is a joint activity of the Wikimaps User Group and another affiliate? —seav (talk) 07:17, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- If there is more than one project that accepts/claims the activity then it is a joint activity? At least one person should be a member of both groups, or the activity is not the same one, it just does similar things.
- (ec) Two or more people from a group working on an activity could make it an activity of that group? Or other condition accepted by the specific group. · · · Peter (Southwood) (talk): 07:31, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
- I think we should use this group to inform about all activities and learn from each other. This affiliate is far less organised than chapters. Currently the user group cannot fund or launch projects but we may decide we will want to do that. It would be truly great if the mapping related activities across the movement could become visible and collected through this channel. So the activities remain in the realm of the original chapter but are shared within the group. This would also be a place to find advice, peer support, commentaries or participants, and a way to replicate great ideas. Would that make sense? – Susanna Ånäs (Susannaanas) (talk) 07:33, 19 March 2017 (UTC)