Wikimania 2016 bids/Chennai
Wikimania Chennai will be the first Wikimania to be held in South Asia and will be the second of its kind to be held in India, only after WikiConference India 2011, held in Mumbai which was attended by 1,000+ attendees.
Chennai (Tamil:சென்னை) , formerly known as Madras, this 369-year-old city is the capital of the southern state of Tamilnadu and is one of India's largest city. It serves as one of the main gateways to South India and has a thriving local culture and art scene and is one of the major destinations for medical tourism. It is considered as one of the world's fastest growing cities although ranks 13th in terms of cleanliness.
It is on the Coromandel coast of the Bay of Bengal and has the second longest beachfront of any municipality in the world.
This information is tentative for now, exact details to be filled in.
- Suggested date: First week of August
- Suggested Venue: Saveetha University
- Technical: connectivity and video upload, electricity and equipment.
- Accommodation: <to be filled>
- Food: With diversity in our tradition and culture, we are much diversified in our food culture as well
- Journey: Travelling to Chennai is as simple to reach to reach Delhi or Mumbai in India
- Safety and accessibility: Chennai is among the safest city in India