Wikimania 2012/Official requirements for bidding cities
This page lists the official recommendations that cities hoping to host Wikimania in 2011 should fulfill in order to be chosen. If you want to propose a city, please use the following bid template in the presentation of tour bid.
For the criteria which the jury may use in determining the chosen city, please see the criteria at Wikimania/Judging criteria.
General guidelines to keep in mindEdit
Experience has proven that the following recommendations should be followed as closely as possible.
- Dates should be from the beginning of July to mid August and should include a weekend.
- The maximum number of participants should be 1,000 people, the minimum 450.
- The venue must provide accommodation within walking distance of the conference grounds, preferably with lots of hanging out spaces where Wikimaniacs can get together informally.
- The venue must have seminar/conference rooms that can hold up to 150 people and no less than 50 people at one time for the sessions. It should provide at least one main hall that can hold up to 750 people. Count on having around 5/6 simultaneous tracks in the program. (i.e. the venue must accommodate 750 people at any time in 5/6 rooms).
- Geographical diversity -- However important, location rotation is only one of many criteria used to determine the best location for Wikimania 2012. The jury will entertain bids from all communities, and wishes to encourage communities located on continents which have not recently hosted a Wikimania to make special efforts to participate in this year's bid process.
- Bids must give specific details as to organisational support as given in the judging criteria
Please copy and paste the following for a city application into a page titled "[[Wikimania 2012/Bids/xxx]]", where xxx is the name of the city:
year = the year being applied for.
This template lists the basic requirements for an application, but is in no way exhaustive, you may add to your application all information you feel should be brought to the attention of the jury. Please make sure you give all price quotes with an equivalent in dollar US (USD).