Wikimania 2012/Judging criteria
- 2023 (Singapore)
- Details of past Wikimanias
- 2022 (Virtual event)
- 2021 (Virtual event)
- 2020 (Cancelled)
- 2019 (Stockholm, Sweden)
- 2018 (Cape Town, South Africa)
- 2017 (Montréal, Canada)
- 2016 (Esino Lario, Italy)
- 2015 (Mexico City, Mexico)
- 2014 (London, United Kingdom)
- 2013 (Hong Kong SAR, China)
- 2012 (Washington, D.C., USA)
- 2011 (Haifa, Israel)
- 2010 (Gdansk, Poland)
- 2009 (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- 2008 (Alexandria, Egypt)
- 2007 (Taipei, Taiwan)
- 2006 (Boston, USA)
- 2005 (Frankfurt, Germany)
Quality of venueEdit
- General suitability: suitability, proximity to accommodation, number and size of rooms available, whether Wikimania will be the sole user of the venue during the event, venue owner's experience with handling conferences of this size
- Internet access: access within the venue, access within the accommodation, access within the social areas. Whether or not free access can be provided. Whether or not the area is covered by wi-fi. Provision of laptop rental (and cost of this). Venue's ability to provide technology infrastructure. Information on local networks and roaming compatibility for mobile phones/devices.
- Social areas: whether a space for socialising is available, whether that space is open 24 hours a day, proximity to venue and accommodation, facilities available (food, drinks, internet access)
- Accommodation: proximity to venue (closer is better), suitability and affordability, variety of types of accommodation available, availability for the event as well as any pre- or post- conference meetings planned.
- General location: proximity to an international airport, facilities nearby (restaurants, tourist sites for outings, etc)
- Local laws, customs, attitudes, and culture: whether these are likely to provide any benefits or problems for attendees, and whether they are in keeping with the values of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Separate note about safety and potential catastrophes, for venues that make attendees wary (help needed to measure safety here and avoid this becoming a point for unsourced political/religious debates)
- Visas/immigration: any issues with attending this location from any other location, difficulty and cost, possibility of local help with getting these
- Rotation of location: whether the location is too close to Wikimania location in the preceding 1-2 years, primarily an extension of "cost/ease of attendance" varying significantly with distance from the location. However if a very strong bid in such locations can be placed, do not hesitate to do so.
- Organizing team: Local volunteers willing to take a lead role in organizing the event; who is responsible for what areas of the conference; their skills (technical, PR, financial, English language ability, etc.); their experience with similar ventures.
- Chapter support: If there is a nearby Wikimedia chapter or other established organization offering to help with overall oversight of the event, please indicate their experience with logistics and financial accountability for events of similar scope, and what their responsibilities would be.
- Other organizational support: Support from local governments, universities, venues, and NGOs. Please elaborate on what help they can or cannot provide.
- Press: Media interest and PR opportunities: prior and expected interest, both locally and internationally
Funding, cost, ease of attendanceEdit
- General cost: of accomodation, food, net access after hours, phone service, &c.
- Funding: amount of local sponsorship available
- Travel: costs of travel to the location from various countries, particularly those with high numbers of Wikimedians, options available for travel (alternatives to flying). Cost of lodging stay for attendees. Cost of travel within city.