reservations made for August 3-6
Rooms available :
- Austin Hall : Ames auditorium only. (the 1st floor rooms are booked by an annual event.)
- Pound Hall : The whole building, for a week+.
- Ropes Gray (400-500 person room), 1st floor rooms (4 80-120 person rooms), 2 top-floor seminar rooms (70 people each).
- 2d floor conference room (organization room, space for 30; organizers could have a key)
- No other events use Pound b/t Aug 2 and Aug 12.
- Langdell Hall : 2 160-person rooms
Dorms available :
- All of Gropius (304 beds @ $40; a cluster of 5 small, connected dorms)
- Some beds in other Law School dorms. One of the Gropius dorms might be holdable for the week following the main conference, for side/hacking events.
- Lesley College (could provide ~30 singles @ $40, pending pre-frosh calendar)
- Local couches (10+)
Other costs, benefits, and issues:
- + 3 extra weeks to plan. No other Berkman Center events just before or after; full staff attention.
- + could conceivably fit all sessions into Pound, where the best org and interview rooms are, decreasing catering costs & lag time.
- - ...the following week begins to run into preparation of the grounds/grass for the fall semester; could not hang around until the following (12-13) weekend. May not be possible to lay out a tent during hacking days. (not a problem if held at MIT)
Previous date discussionsEdit
Other dates considered were July 15-16, 22-23 and 29-30. Issues considered : the ability to reserve all of Austin or Pound (though we could have a combination of the two); dorm availabilities; and conflicts with other conferences (BlogHer, etc.).