Wikimania 2006/Planning/2005-12-10

General discussion 12-10-05, 2200 UTC, irc.freenode.net#wikimania

Condensed notes:

1) teams and travel: Links to more detailed thoughts on teams Wikimania_2006/Teams and the growing attendee list, for possible travel arrangements Wikimania_2006/Attendees#Attendees, leads to a discussion on notifying Wikipedians about the conference.

2) date: There's discussion about the date, which is set but not yet publicly announced ("not signpostable or bloggable"), and a quick discussion of the venue; SJ says we have 304 beds in Harvard dorms.

3) call for papers: Call for submissions discussion: brassratgirl asks for comments on the draft that she and await worked on (per the Nov. 23 meeting), available here: Talk:Wikimania_Call_for_Papers. SJ asks who we will send it to, and whether we'll send the same text to academic and non-academic lists. Brassratgirl thinks we should have one cfp; SJ notes britty's suggestion that there be a one-paragraph version for translation purposes. Volunteers to produce this version are welcome. CFS should go out in Jan. at the latest.

4) submissions (number, time and place): SJ thinks we should plan for 400 submissions this year (up from 100 last year), and will need up to 50 paper reviewers. There's some disagreement about presentation length (which will impact how many slots there are): some think 30 minutes is too long, others disagree. Poster sessions, for submissions that don't get presentation time, are generally agreed to be a good idea. Brian0918 suggests one big room for a "couple hundred" posters; Amgine says that "Poster space is generally a minimum of 6' long, 6' deep.". SJ notes that for room capacities, we have 500+ / 130 / 110 / 90 / 80, and 300 in a nearby building, available simultaneously, as well as "another two 100+-person rooms in Pound on the 3rd floor." MikeSnow notes that "It's sounding like one room might need to be dedicated to visual matter (posters and stuff) for the bulk of the conference."

5) possible speakers? brian0918 suggests 1 person from LoC digital world library project; hasn't heard back from them though. Betsy_Devine suggests Kevin Marks. Linuxbeak suggests Donald Becker. SJ suggests non-{white, male, American, English-speaking technologists}. We all wish him luck with that.

6) conference software: Only free-as-in-speech software is acceptable. The latest is looking at pycon; neuralis says that "the authors are willing to license it as free software"; and a demo should be up within 7 days [update: quite specific to their system]. Pentabarf is unusable; other software is inadequate or non-existant. The latest plan is using a home-grown registration system developed by Austin, maybe pycon or a simple paper-handling cms, and worry about scheduling later.

7) info organization: brassratgirl suggests a plan for archiving the content from wikimania.wikimedia.org onto meta, so the wikimania site can have 2006 content (thoughts available here: Talk:Wikimania_2006/Planning#Archiving_2005_content. effeietsanders suggests putting these pages in the 2005: namespace "or else Wikimania2005: on meta." Alternatively, sj suggests a subpage would do. Keeping the same names is agreed to be important. Linuxbeak and mysekurity volunteer to move pages around on meta; linuxbeak volunteers to do a new 2006 front page for the wikimania site.

8) documentary: mentioned in brief:

"<_sj_> documentary : as some of you know, a docu team called 'globalvision' came to wikimania in august, and took lots of footage. They've put it up with some rough transripts on archive.org, and want to make a "wikimentary" project out of it, encouraging people to make their own short films from the 10+ hours they shot. There are complications : finding the right software to use, writing intro-to-video-editing booklets (or finding them); making some examples of how to take two snippets, edit them, and post them back up. It's not clear how smoothly this could work... but if people are intersted, it's definitely related to wikimania and how it's perceived publicly. There will be a 30-minute "stub" (that the documentarists cut together) airing on national public tv in january."

9) program teams: Last item: thoughts on program teams. program, translation, recording & broadcasting, social & events are the big ones listed; then there's smaller teams: press, design, hacking days, info, finance, facilities, onsite and publications. Amgine notes that it seems like a lot of teams, requiring a lot of communications support. Brassratgirl notes that size (in terms of manpower needed) doesn't necessarily equal importance. Program, translation, website work, venue and software are all noted as things that will need early work.

at this point, brassratgirl asks for a last call on agenda thoughts, and the meeting slowly trails off into the distance Brassratgirl 07:04, 12 December 2005 (UTC)

partially-cleaned up transcript:

[12/10/2005 1:55 PM] =-= _sj_ has changed the topic to ``Next chat presently : Saturday, 2200 UTC | Wikimania, the Wikimedia Foundation's annual conference, now planning for 2006 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006> | Next organized discussion: TBA''
[12/10/2005 2:00 PM] <_sj_> if you haven't been following the latest changes on meta, there are some new more detailed ideas about teams:
[12/10/2005 2:00 PM] <_sj_> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams
[12/10/2005 2:00 PM] <_sj_> and a growing attendee list, but no travel arrangements yet;
[12/10/2005 2:01 PM] <mysekurity> awesome
[12/10/2005 2:01 PM] <_sj_> if you want to synch up with people driving/flying from your part of the world.:
[12/10/2005 2:01 PM] <_sj_> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Attendees#Attendees

[12/10/2005 2:02 PM] <mysekurity> what changes, exactly, are in the teams?
[12/10/2005 2:02 PM] <_sj_> can someone volunteer to take notes for the meeting; just posting a cleaned-up transcript online afterwards to the wiki?
[12/10/2005 2:02 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: I can do it 

[12/10/2005 2:02 PM] <Amgine> <Hasn't checked the website recently> Is the date set in stone yet?
[12/10/2005 2:03 PM] <_sj_> amgine: its set now, yes.
[12/10/2005 2:03 PM] <mysekurity> for what, may I ask?
[12/10/2005 2:03 PM] <Amgine> <nod>
[12/10/2005 2:03 PM] <_sj_> not announced anywhere, though; not bloggable :-)
[12/10/2005 2:04 PM] <Amgine> Well, it's impossible to make travel plans without that minor little detail...
[12/10/2005 2:04 PM] <_sj_> I would go further and say not signpostable.  so, set in hard clay, more like :-)

(snipped for date dicussion -- since it is not publicly announced yet -- brassratgirl)

[12/10/2005 2:06 PM] <_sj_> and we'll have to make separate reservations for any hacking days, etc.
[12/10/2005 2:06 PM] <Amgine> <grin>
[12/10/2005 2:06 PM] <MikeSnow> Reservations for conference rooms, dorm rooms, or both?
[12/10/2005 2:06 PM] <_sj_> both.
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <MikeSnow> Do we have an idea of what capacity we're looking at for both of those?
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <mysekurity> dorms from MIT, Harvard, Leslie, or what?
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <_sj_> ( for hacking days, if we choose to takethe Media Lab up on its offer, we can use their rooms any days we want; and probably have another month or two to tell them for sure.  )
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <Linuxbeak> Quick question: Do we have an agenda for this meeting?
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <_sj_> we have 304 beds in harvard dorms
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <_sj_> a stone's throw from the venue
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <brassratgirl> linux: we do 
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <Linuxbeak> link? :P
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <Amgine> link please?
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <_sj_> a set of 5 interconnected dorms at the law school
[12/10/2005 2:07 PM] <brassratgirl> here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning#Meetings
[12/10/2005 2:08 PM] <Linuxbeak> wonderful
[12/10/2005 2:08 PM] <Linuxbeak> thakns
[12/10/2005 2:08 PM] <brassratgirl> sure 
[12/10/2005 2:08 PM] * _sj_ hopes jamesf comes back from away...
[12/10/2005 2:08 PM] <_sj_> brassratgirl, await; do you want to start with an update on the cfp?  and links to other followup from the last meeting?
[12/10/2005 2:09 PM] <brassratgirl> we should talk about thoughts for the program 
[12/10/2005 2:09 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: sure
[12/10/2005 2:09 PM] <brassratgirl> at the last meeting await and I volunteered to work on a draft for the cfp 
[12/10/2005 2:09 PM] <brassratgirl> and we came up with this: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_Call_for_Papers
[12/10/2005 2:09 PM] <Linuxbeak> Looking now.
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: okay. Are you looking for suggestions? response? praise?
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <brassratgirl> we tried to integrate people's ideas about program tracks, and write up a background section on what wikimania is 
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <brassratgirl> suggestions and response :) 
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <brassratgirl> here or posted to the wiki
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <brassratgirl> the latter's probably best 
[12/10/2005 2:10 PM] <Linuxbeak> Righto
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <Linuxbeak> AFAICT it looks pretty solid
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <Betsy_Devine> Thanks, brassrat, that looks like a good solid start
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <brassratgirl> people's thoughts on speakers, cool topics, etc. would also be good ... 
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <Linuxbeak> heh, as the people pour in :P
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <_sj_> the text looks good to me;
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <karmafist> figured you could use another New Englander, considering the location of the Wikimania this year
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <_sj_> but who will we send it out to?  same text to both academic and non-academic lists?
[12/10/2005 2:11 PM] <Linuxbeak> ooo
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <Linuxbeak> I can help with that one
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: I think so, yes 
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <Linuxbeak> seeing I live in Rhode Island
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <_sj_> we didn't differentiate explicitly last year, though people ended up modifying the core text a bit for different audiences
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <_sj_> linux: you should add how you're coming to the 'travel arrangements' section of the attendees page
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <brassratgirl> wouldn't having different archived cfps be confusing? 
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <mysekurity> we can always use New Englanders...spam talk pags of people in [[Category:Wikipeidans from Rhode Island]] and others, see if they can come
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <Linuxbeak> mysekurity: Well, I make up about an eighth of that page. heh
[12/10/2005 2:12 PM] <_sj_> I like one cfp.  britty suggested having a one-paragraph version for translation though
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <mysekurity> Linux: gotcha
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <brassratgirl> ah, ok 
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <karmafist> mysekurity: well, i'm the other way, but I hear ya
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <_sj_> and for sending informal updates; with a link to the full cfp
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: But still, yes.
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <_sj_> (which would be in fewer langs)
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <mysekurity> SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <Linuxbeak> Gotcha. I'm going to do that.
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <mysekurity> I'll tackle [[Category:Wikipedians from MA]]
[[Category:Wikimania 2006]]
[12/10/2005 2:13 PM] <Linuxbeak> question. How many people are we expecting in regards to paper submissions?
[12/10/2005 2:14 PM] <brassratgirl> well, if anyone wants to knock what's there down to a concise paragraph and post it on the talk page :) 
[12/10/2005 2:14 PM] <mysekurity> I'll get right on it
[12/10/2005 2:14 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: I'm not sure... sj, how many were there last year? 
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <_sj_> we had about 100 serious submissions
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <_sj_> I'd plan for 400 this year
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <_sj_> await, did you find out about that "11000" number?
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <MikeSnow> How many slots do we have available to fit these into?
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: wow. And how many ...yeah, slots
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <await> yes. it was 11000
[12/10/2005 2:15 PM] <mysekurity> okay, posted to [[User:Mysekurity/Mania]]
[12/10/2005 2:16 PM] <brassratgirl> well, one question we had was about the length of presentations 
[12/10/2005 2:16 PM] <_sj_> we're giving twice as much notice; and are twice as well known... but then also more communities know about the event.  so we might have more; especially from the community.
[12/10/2005 2:16 PM] <brassratgirl> which would impact how many slots there are 
[12/10/2005 2:16 PM] <_sj_> I estimate we'll need up to 50 paper reviewers...
[12/10/2005 2:16 PM] <MikeSnow> No presentation should be longer than an hour, in my opinion
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <_sj_> ok, commentary on the cfp is encouraged.  
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <Linuxbeak> I think the cutoff is 30 minutes, anyway
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <Amgine> 30 minutes is too long.
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <_sj_> also a one-paragraph version.  and definitely not final yet...
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <await> _sj_ - why call them papers?  more like abstracts or extended abstracts and then some kind of review committee slots people into long-short-poster slots
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <Amgine> 15 minutes is a long podium presentation.
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <brian0918> 30 minutes is nothing :P
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <brian0918> not really
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <brian0918> 1 hour is normal lengh
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <brian0918> length*
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <brian0918> 30 minutes is... half of that
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <_sj_> let's work through the agenda points quickly, then we can come back.
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <Amgine> It is if you're talking about substance, as opposed to a speech.
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <Amgine> <nod>
[12/10/2005 2:17 PM] <MikeSnow> Depends what you're doing
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <brian0918> no cool poster sessions?
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <MikeSnow> Some presentations might be better off grouped together
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <_sj_> ohh, me-flood... I have a laggy connection here
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <await> Amgine - maybe have different slots. 
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <brassratgirl> brian: yes on poster sessions 
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <brassratgirl> re: length, an hour limits how many people can speak 
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <Linuxbeak> See, the reason why I'm asking here is because before I commit myself to helping with paper sifting is to make sure that I'm not committing a conflict of interest.
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <MikeSnow> so people are doing 10-15 minute presentations on related topics
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <_sj_> await : I agree that 'presentatoins' would make more sense
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <Linuxbeak> I personally will be submitting a presentation..
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <_sj_> and yes, 30min is long for anything but group discussion.
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <mysekurity> i love the idea of posters!
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <Amgine> <nod @ await>
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <Amgine> Poster presentations are really good.
[12/10/2005 2:18 PM] <Amgine> They can allow more one-on-one.
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> tutorials and birds of a feather sessions were also suggested
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brian0918> you can assign one huge room to posters, fit a couple hundred in there
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> there's a question as to how long both of those items should be 
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brian0918> so for the people who don't get speeches, recommend posters instead
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> I agree that posters are a good idea 
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <Amgine> Poster space is generally a minimum of 6' long, 6' deep.
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <mysekurity> I've worked on one that splices Jimbo with Uncle Sam (the famous one)
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <Amgine> (most of which is the walkway.
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> we also thought about having a short presentation slot 
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> (10 min.?)
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <Linuxbeak> I like that idea
[12/10/2005 2:19 PM] <_sj_> mike snow: as to capacities; we have 500+ / 130 / 110 / 90 / 80
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <_sj_> and 300 in a nearby building
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <mysekurity> agreed, but what would be on the posters?
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <_sj_> (for rooms)
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <Amgine> <nod> Shorts for the main podiums, but break-out rooms for more in depth sessions.
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <MikeSnow> sj: We have all those rooms available simultaneously?
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <brian0918> mysekurity: the posters are just to pull in interested audience. then you discuss your research, and the posters summarize the work, results
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <_sj_> MikeSnow: yes.
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <mysekurity> ohh
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <mysekurity> okay
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <_sj_> the law school is reserving most of their available rooms for us; until we decide exactly what we want to use.
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <brian0918> not movie posters :P
[12/10/2005 2:20 PM] <_sj_> we actually also have another two 100+-person rooms in Pound on the 3rd floor
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <Linuxbeak> I want to discuss possible speakers, if that's alright
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <await> mysekurity - posters usually are a presentation of ongoing research that didn't get a "talk".
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <mysekurity> brian0918: awww..... it would be cool, like "WIKIMANIA 2: The return of the wiki"
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <_sj_> linux: ok, briefly; then we should move on to the next item
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <brian0918> sj: 1 room for posters, the other for the keynote speaker and audience
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <_sj_> [betsy, mysekurity : any thoughts on t-shirt designs yet, btw?]
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <mysekurity> await: gotcha..... I've been to a couple research things myself, and seen a few, but I've never made one
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <brassratgirl> speaker ideas? 
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <Linuxbeak> Okay. Who are we looking for? Me being pretty deep within the URI CS department, I can provide at least a few speakers regarding Wiki's.
[12/10/2005 2:21 PM] <MikeSnow> It's sounding like one room might need to be dedicated to visual matter (posters and stuff) for the bulk of the conference
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <brassratgirl> what kind of research/what kind of topics? 
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <mysekurity> _sj_: good point: i'm loading mine into Illustrator
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <_sj_> mike: that would be pretty neat.  there are also artists willing to bring interactive art exhibits and install them.
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <brian0918> 1 person from LoC digital world library project :D
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <Linuxbeak> yikes
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <_sj_> brian: any word back from them?
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <brian0918> nada
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <mysekurity> agreed with Mike
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] -->| Betsy_Devine (n=Snak@rrcs-24-39-139-98.nyc.biz.rr.com) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <brian0918> if you send them a nice flyer, then they'll listen
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] |<-- dmharvey has left freenode ("Quit")
[12/10/2005 2:22 PM] <_sj_> linux: it seems pretty open;
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <_sj_> we're short on good speakers who aren't white american male technologists
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: heh. Good luck.
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <brassratgirl> brian018: a flyer for the cfp? 
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <mysekurity> Linux: yeah....
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <brian0918> recruit from korean universities
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <_sj_> with english as a first language; and that seems to exclude a lot of the cative, intersting thinkers and researchers out there
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <await> anybody want to remain this thing the "cfs".  
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <await> ;) hint hint. ;) 
[12/10/2005 2:23 PM] <brassratgirl> await: yes 
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <_sj_> await: sure
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Amgine> call for what?
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <brassratgirl> call for submissions 
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Amgine> ah...
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <brassratgirl> since it's not all papers: it's also presentations, posters, tutorials.. 
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Betsy_Devine> Amgine superheroes
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Amgine> <nods>
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <_sj_> neuralis: around?
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <MikeSnow> might be more appropriate
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Linuxbeak> Eee, maybe I'm being dense, but I don't think we're following the agenda
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <Amgine> ooh! need one of those...
[12/10/2005 2:24 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: yeah. shoot.
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <_sj_> austin?
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <mysekurity> linux: do we ever?
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <MikeSnow> Linuxbeak: I've yet to see a wikimedia meeting follow its agenda
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <Linuxbeak> point.
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <Amgine> eats. leaves.
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <_sj_> I'm just reading my latest mail ...
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <Linuxbeak> point taken :P
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <await> where is the agenda. 
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <await> ;)
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <brassratgirl> well, are there any other thoughts about speakers? 
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <brassratgirl> topics for the cfp? 
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] =-= brian0918 is now known as brian0918|afk
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <_sj_> linux: we're still talking about the program, et al.
[12/10/2005 2:25 PM] <Linuxbeak> ah.
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <_sj_> and hopefully a bit about conference software now...
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <Amgine> <is waiting on the servers, oddly>
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: Well, you've already heard my idea
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <Amgine> They've been so quick of late.
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <_sj_> I'd like to put out a cfp in january at the latest
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <Linuxbeak> Discussion in regards to power structures within wiki communes
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <_sj_> and to look at a paper-processing system before then.
[12/10/2005 2:26 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: that means that we should gather comments on it now 
[12/10/2005 2:27 PM] -->| kim__ (n=kim@cpe-24-29-137-148.nyc.res.rr.com) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:27 PM] <_sj_> there was some talk of playing with the pycon setup...
[12/10/2005 2:27 PM] <Linuxbeak> I'm all for that. What are you looking for in particular?
[12/10/2005 2:27 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: yell if you'd like me to jump in.
[12/10/2005 2:27 PM] <_sj_> but is it free software?
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <_sj_> only you may know the answer to that q :)
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <Betsy_Devine> Kevin Marks as a speaker? CTO of Technorati, survived vfd, uncovered the Adam Curry IP number thingy
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <Linuxbeak> Betsy_Devine: heh!
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: yes, the authors are willing to license it as free software, which i made clear was a requirement if we were to use it.
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <Betsy_Devine> Not a keynote, but an interesting presenter
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] * _sj_ wonders where jwales is...
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <_sj_> nice.
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <_sj_> any luck getting a demo up?
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <mysekurity> _sj_: yeah, where is he?
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] * mysekurity wonders the same
[12/10/2005 2:28 PM] <Linuxbeak> Betsy_Devine: How about Daniel Brandt? We *do* have an entertainment hour, yes? :-D
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Amgine> Florida for once...
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <mysekurity> ooh! standup!
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] * Linuxbeak just realized something
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Linuxbeak> I would not be surprised to see Mr. Brandt there
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Betsy_Devine> I'll do standup if I can sit down to do it
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: no; the repository was only opened up to me a few days ago, and it's a relatively complicated (and currently pycon-specific) setup.
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Amgine> is it just me, or have the servers suddenly taken vacation?
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <_sj_> amgine: yes, but I thought he would make it...
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <brassratgirl> betsy: go ahead and add him to the list here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program#Speakers it's not necessarily a list of just keynote speakers 
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: ...i think you're right
[12/10/2005 2:29 PM] <Amgine> <goes to look for jwales>
[12/10/2005 2:30 PM] <_sj_> hiya kim__
[12/10/2005 2:30 PM] <brassratgirl> so have there been any conclusions made about conference software recently? thoughts? 
[12/10/2005 2:31 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: I'm scrolling through the portage list to see if I can provide anything that's open source
[12/10/2005 2:31 PM] -->| shekhar (n=shekhar@CAES-ONE-THIRTY-EIGHT.MIT.EDU) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:31 PM] <mysekurity> brassratgirl: I tried out Pentabarf, but it didnt' reallly work... I think _sj_ axed it
[12/10/2005 2:31 PM] <brassratgirl> ok 
[12/10/2005 2:31 PM] <neuralis> brassratgirl: pentabarf is unusable (and uninstallable), and other similar software is either severly underpowered, incomplete, or inexistent.
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <brassratgirl> right. 
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <_sj_> austin, correct me if I'm wrong; but it sounds to me like the latest is that we'll plan to use a home-grown registration system; check out the pycon software; and perhaps try  to piece together our own simple paper-handling cms [and worry about scheduling software later in the year]
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <Linuxbeak> What are we looking for in terms of on-site technology/kiosks/whatchamacallits?
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <_sj_> nauralis: indeed... despite all the writing on the subject.
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <kim__> hey _sj_! :-)
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <Amgine> 1,000 of those $100 laptops...
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: the pycon paper software should be easily usable and extensible for our goals
[12/10/2005 2:32 PM] <_sj_> neuralis: maybe we can get some of the other software-writers to come to wikimania to discuss their travail
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <mysekurity> amgine: you heard about the Intel ECO dissing them?
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <_sj_> that would rock. the output looked nice, at least.
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: who's working on the home-grown system?
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] =-= kim__ is now known as kim_register
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <_sj_> ok, how long until a demo is ready?
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <Amgine> No, mysekurity...
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <Linuxbeak> heh
[12/10/2005 2:33 PM] <mysekurity> It's on Wired...I'll get the link
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: of the paper software? i can have it up sometime in the next 7 days, not sooner.
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <Amgine> Thanks mysekurity.
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <Amgine> WN might want another article about those...
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] -->| MartinMai (n=chatzill@p54953659.dip.t-dialin.net) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <Linuxbeak> Idea. Good idea.
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <_sj_> brassratgirl: austin.  neuralis: ok.
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <Linuxbeak> I'm sorry for bringing up the speaking thing again... but I just had an idea of who we could invite to give either a presentation or a keynote.
[12/10/2005 2:34 PM] <_sj_> update re: pycon status over the course of the week?
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: yes? 
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <_sj_> Linuxbeak: add it to the wiki 
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] -->| effeietsanders (n=effeiets@ip5451c821.direct-adsl.nl) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: sure.
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <Linuxbeak> Anyone ever hear of Donald Becker?
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <mysekurity> linuxbreak: no...
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] -->| dannyisme (n=daniwo@66.55.0.146) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] * mysekurity checks Wikipedia
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <Betsy_Devine> sj, how about if we use Jay McC's sw this year and make it a goal to develop our own by next year, based on this experience?
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <_sj_> heya danny 
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <Linuxbeak> He's the guy who invented the Beowulf computing system.
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <dannyisme> hi
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <_sj_> betsy: it's really not free
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: add links here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program#Speakers
[12/10/2005 2:35 PM] <_sj_> I don't see how we could
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <neuralis> Betsy_Devine: not free is not an option, at least as far as i'm concerned.
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <kim_register> Linuxbeak, Imagine a beowulf cluster of ...
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Betsy_Devine> neuralis, but it is free to us. 
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <neuralis> Betsy_Devine: that's free as in speech, not as in beer.
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <kim_register> Betsy_Devine, wrong kinda of free
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] -->| henna (n=fboonen@igwe22.vub.ac.be) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <_sj_> can we quickly get to the last two agenda items?
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <kim_register> hoi henna!
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <_sj_> discussions of sw freedom can take alll night
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Linuxbeak> kmhah!
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Linuxbeak> er
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Linuxbeak> kim_register: hah!
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Amgine> _sj_ trying to roust jwales.
[12/10/2005 2:36 PM] <Linuxbeak> lol
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <brassratgirl> information organization ...
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <dannyisme> can people please keep me posted about wikimania meeetings, so that I can put them on Jimbo's calendar
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <kim_register> _sj_ roger
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <Betsy_Devine> neuralis, well, since you're doing the conference mgt work, I think what you want should have priority over what I think is easy and simple ;-)
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <_sj_> danny: yep
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] * _sj_ needs someone to keep my calendar...
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <dannyisme> send an email to dwool@wikimedia.org
[12/10/2005 2:37 PM] <_sj_> info org
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <kim_register> _sj_, even jimbo doesn't have a secretary!
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <_sj_> brassratgirl: you were suggesting something last week...
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <kim_register> wait, maybe that's dannyisme 
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <dannyisme> kim, what am i?
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <dannyisme> chopped liver
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <dannyisme> ?
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] <Amgine> <grin>
[12/10/2005 2:38 PM] * kim_register examines dannyisme closely
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <kim_register> Hmm, you don't seem very chopped to me
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <Linuxbeak> One thing that someone mentioned were "birds of a feather" sessions.
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <brassratgirl> I was looking at how to archive wikimania.wikimedia.org 
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <kim_register> <looks innocent>
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <Linuxbeak> I'd like to hear some discussion on that.. .because i think that could work out wonderfully
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <brassratgirl> I think we should clear off that site in order to house 2006 conent and achive what's there on meta .. do people agree? thoughts? 
[12/10/2005 2:39 PM] <karmafist> hey kim register, hamster sandwich seems ok now, in case he hadn't told you before. I don't think there are any hard feelings
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: on cfs page, please? 
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <Linuxbeak> That's a submission?
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <Linuxbeak> o_O
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <_sj_> brg - yep.  a few people suggested starting from scratch.
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <kim_register> karmafist, fraid I have some :-/ But we'll see
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: people will need to volunteer to lead them. So yes. 
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <effeietsanders> brassratgirl: can't you place them in a namespace like 2005: ?
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: ahhh
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <Betsy_Devine> ok, sorry I can't stay--
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] <_sj_> those of us with accounts on the wiki should really do the archiving.
[12/10/2005 2:40 PM] |<-- Betsy_Devine has left freenode ("Bye from Betsy!")
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> effeietsanders: on the wikimania.wikimedia site? 
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <Linuxbeak> apologies,
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <karmafist> kim register: I guess I misread it, but oh well. I'll be there in your corner, buddy. And Hamster's too. Hopefully we can all just get along and get down to the facts instead of personalizing it
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <effeietsanders> brassratgirl: for instance
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <effeietsanders> or else Wikimania2005: on meta
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] |<-- MartinMai has left freenode ("Chatzilla 0.9.68.5 [SUSE 1.0.7-0.1/20050920]")
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <effeietsanders> that way you can keep the same names etc
[12/10/2005 2:41 PM] <henna> ok, denk dat ik beter ff van wiki blijf
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <henna> sry
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <effeietsanders> has to be possible to be done by a bot
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <kim_register> karmafist, let's see if we can. I'd rather not have another repeat of feloniousmonk or mel etitis. I don't have the energy to be as nice anymore ^^;;
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <_sj_> effeitsanders: fair enough; or under a subpage.  
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <kim_register> henna, wrong channel?
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <_sj_> there aren't too many; could be done by hand too.
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <henna> kim_register: yes
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <brassratgirl> I was thinking on meta with the same names ...
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <_sj_> is ths something we can do this coming week?
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <kim_register> karmafist, I'll do my best though :)
[12/10/2005 2:42 PM] <_sj_> is there active interest in buffing the archive into place on meta?  that seems easiest, since then anyone can coment on the old pages
[12/10/2005 2:43 PM] <karmafist> kim register: me neither, at least on my own. 
[12/10/2005 2:43 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: I was going to say just that.
[12/10/2005 2:43 PM] <_sj_> this would probably take 2 meta-volunteers... 
[12/10/2005 2:43 PM] <brassratgirl> and then there would be a link back to the meta pages from wikimania.wikimedia, for 2005 content 
[12/10/2005 2:43 PM] <_sj_> and someone should make a new wikimania 2006 main page.
[12/10/2005 2:44 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: I can do that, if you wish.
[12/10/2005 2:44 PM] <Linuxbeak> i'm on meta
[12/10/2005 2:44 PM] <_sj_> linux: sweet.  one more?
[12/10/2005 2:44 PM] <brassratgirl> I will start a new section on talk (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2006/Planning) with the pages I identified from wikimania.wikimedia that definately need to be archived 
[12/10/2005 2:44 PM] <Linuxbeak> *thinks* Would I be able to get sysop'd on meta? It'll make the job somewhat easier.
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <Amgine> I'm an admin on meta.
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <--| dannyisme has left #wikimania ("Leaving")
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <mysekurity> hey im back
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <mysekurity> I'll help out
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <_sj_> thank, brassrat
[12/10/2005 2:45 PM] <mysekurity> It's just moving old pages and such?
[12/10/2005 2:46 PM] <_sj_> and adam .  great.  I'll help move over the wikitext, if that's difficult.
[12/10/2005 2:46 PM] <brassratgirl> myeskurity: yes, and making sure the page names stay coherent 
[12/10/2005 2:46 PM] <_sj_> any designers feel like mocking up a new main page ?  :-)
[12/10/2005 2:46 PM] <mysekurity> okey
[12/10/2005 2:46 PM] <mysekurity> I'll look at RC to see what you guys are doing, then join in
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <brassratgirl> just to note: a lot of the content on meta from 2005 is planning content.. but it should probably be preserved as well 
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: Yes
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> I'll do the new page
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <_sj_> linux: cool.  
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <_sj_> I'll be offline until late sunday, but back then.
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] * _sj_ notes he has to run in 7 min
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <brassratgirl> unless people feel differently... 
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <_sj_> can I jump ahead to the documentary point?
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: Like I said, thought, I think the job would be a little easier if i had the sysop flag
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <mysekurity> _sj_: go right ahead
[12/10/2005 2:47 PM] <_sj_> before I go...  (linux :  ;-)
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <brassratgirl> the last points are documentary and project teams 
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <mysekurity> wait, can I have a temp flag too?
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <mysekurity> that would be muy helpful
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <_sj_> documentary : as some of you know, a docu team called 'globalvision' came to wikimania in august
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <_sj_> and took lots of footage.
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <_sj_> they've put it up with some rough transripts on archive.org
[12/10/2005 2:48 PM] <_sj_> and want to make a "wikimentary" project out of it
[12/10/2005 2:49 PM] <_sj_> encouraging people to make their own short films from the 10+ hours they shot
[12/10/2005 2:49 PM] <_sj_> there are complications : finding the right software to use, writing intro-to-video-editing booklets (or finding them)
[12/10/2005 2:49 PM] <_sj_> making some examples of how to take two snippets, edit them, and post them back up
[12/10/2005 2:50 PM] <_sj_> it's not clear how smoothly this could work...
[12/10/2005 2:50 PM] <mysekurity> hmm
[12/10/2005 2:50 PM] <Linuxbeak> I'll be back in just a few minutes. food time.
[12/10/2005 2:50 PM] <_sj_> but if people are intersted, it's definitely related to wikimania and how it's perceived publicly
[12/10/2005 2:50 PM] <_sj_> there will be a 30-minute "stub" (that the documentarists cut together)  airing on national public tv in january
[12/10/2005 2:51 PM] <kim_register> _sj_, fascinating
[12/10/2005 2:51 PM] |<-- await has left freenode ("Leaving")
[12/10/2005 2:51 PM] <_sj_> ideally mentioning such a video project... if there is a project like that set up. 
[12/10/2005 2:51 PM] <_sj_> so if you're interested, please check out [[m:Wikimentary]]
[12/10/2005 2:51 PM] <brian0918|afk> i organized this section alphabetically: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program#Speakers
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <_sj_> comment there and on the discussion  page.  (ok, that's my plug for the project.)
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: I'll add links to wikimania about it 
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> sj: like I said, I don't think there's a good place on the site for things like this yet 
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <--| effeietsanders has left #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <_sj_> thx... and right.  
[12/10/2005 2:52 PM] <mysekurity> sounds good
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <brassratgirl> are there any thoughts about the program teams that sj suggested ?
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <_sj_> ok, I have to run.  all my thoughts on teams are on the meta page...
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <_sj_> they're not just my suggestios;
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <brassratgirl> bye sj! 
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <brassratgirl> anyway, they are here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams#Team_ideas
[12/10/2005 2:53 PM] <_sj_> more the results of the last few discussions... later all
[12/10/2005 2:54 PM] <_sj_> will check the trans...
[12/10/2005 2:55 PM] <--| _sj_ has left #wikimania
[12/10/2005 2:55 PM] <Amgine> <grin> So, do we start goofing off now?
[12/10/2005 2:56 PM] <brassratgirl> well, what *do* people think about the teams? 
[12/10/2005 2:56 PM] <Amgine> I can't see them... <frowny face>
[12/10/2005 2:57 PM] <Amgine> Can anyone explain the breakdown here?
[12/10/2005 2:57 PM] <brassratgirl> program, translation, recording & broadcasting 
[12/10/2005 2:57 PM] <brassratgirl> social & events are the big ones 
[12/10/2005 2:58 PM] <Amgine> <nod> I'm assuming the cfs/approval is under the program team?
[12/10/2005 2:58 PM] <brassratgirl> then there's smaller teams: press, design, hacking days, info, finance, facilities, onsite and publications 
[12/10/2005 2:58 PM] <brassratgirl> ah, yes, I believe so 
[12/10/2005 2:59 PM] <brassratgirl> it's a lot of teams .. I think the question is how they would work together and whether the suggested breakdown works 
[12/10/2005 2:59 PM] <Amgine> <nod> That seems too many for me; we'd need too much communications support.
[12/10/2005 2:59 PM] -->| abelard (n=arcturus@tor/session/x-dff59ca12b03d845) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <Amgine> But they're each an important focus, so maybe I'm wrong.
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <brassratgirl> the "big" ones are big because they require the most volunteers 
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <Amgine> What do other people think?
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <brassratgirl> eg, program requires lots of reviewers, recording requires lots of transcribers 
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <brassratgirl> the others may be equally as important but require fewer numbers of bodies
[12/10/2005 3:00 PM] <Amgine> <nod>
[12/10/2005 3:01 PM] <Amgine> So, who is live here at the moment?
[12/10/2005 3:01 PM] <Amgine> <pokes kim_register>
[12/10/2005 3:02 PM] <Amgine> Okay brassratgirl; looks like just us mice.
[12/10/2005 3:02 PM] <brassratgirl> ok, well, that may be all then... 
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <brassratgirl> dicussing the thoughts here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams#Core_conference_team is important, for anyone who is around? 
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <Amgine> What do you see as the primary things which will need accomplisments, and would be best served by a focused team?
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <brassratgirl> amgine.. primary things in what sense? 
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <kim_register> Amgine, I'm dead :-P
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <kim_register> Hey abelard !
[12/10/2005 3:03 PM] <Linuxbeak> back
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <Amgine> Things which need to be done early.
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <Amgine> Well in advance, such as the cfs and contacting speakers.
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <kim_register> abelard is one of your first forsure visitors, if I have to pay for it myself...
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <brassratgirl> well, cfp and conference software, like we talked about 
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] * kim_register tries to figure out how to do that ... but ...
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <abelard> kim_register: heh? what?
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <Linuxbeak> Okay; who is helping with the archiving and new page creation, besides me?
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <brassratgirl> save the date notices (which is publicity) once the date gets verified 
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] <abelard> kim_register: oh
[12/10/2005 3:04 PM] -->| ida_mayhem (n=nobody@p15122355.pureserver.info) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <abelard> kim_register: No, you won't have to pay for it yourself, hahah
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <Amgine> Linuxbeak: I'm an admin on meta, but will likely not be able to help for the rest of today (rebuilding software)
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <abelard> kim_register: I'll either pay for it, or not go :)
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <kim_register> abelard, are you busy?
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <brassratgirl> translation, website, and on-site work 
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: Righto. 
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] -->| Joyous (n=doa@c-67-187-92-192.hsd1.tx.comcast.net) has joined #wikimania
[12/10/2005 3:05 PM] <kim_register> abelard, don't be silly, you're speaking :-)
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <abelard> kim_register: eh?
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <Linuxbeak> I just need a meta bureaucrat to give me the admin flag so I can get startd :p
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] * kim_register looks innocent
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: I'm going to post some ideas about pages to archive 
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <Linuxbeak> eh, started, not startd (which is a BSD daemon ;-)
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <abelard> kim_register: you what?
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <Amgine> Linuxbeak: you can probably request temporary status, but I forget what the page is. Check [[m:Meta:Administrators]]
[12/10/2005 3:06 PM] <kim_register> Amgine, I missed the bit where folks were talking about speakers
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <kim_register> Amgine, how do I register one? :-)
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: Please, be relentless
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <Amgine> So did I, kim_register.
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> amgine: what are your thoughts about early teams? 
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> meeting notes are going up soon :) 
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] =-= abelard is now known as NicholasT
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <Amgine> I would focus on speakers and submissions; those will take a long while and many volunteers.
[12/10/2005 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> and speaker ideas can be posted here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program#Speakers
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: yes, that's the page
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <brassratgirl> amgine: I think that's what we're doing 
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <Amgine> I would also have a team working on the software and the venue; we need more than just rooms.
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: I will definitely help with that
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, we just haven't quite decided what you will speak on, but there's plenty :-)
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <Amgine> We should also have a team which is working with Mav on the budgets, scholarships, and other financial elements.
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <brassratgirl> for now, conference software is under the program team.. 
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <Linuxbeak> Onsite software management/troubleshooping? 
[12/10/2005 3:08 PM] <NicholasT> kim_register: I'm sure there are many better qualified speakers than I... there must be plenty of competition
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <Linuxbeak> Hey, NicholasT 
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak (and anyone else): be sure to put yourself here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams#Volunteering
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <Linuxbeak> oo, NicholasT, are you going to be coming ot Wikimania?!
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <Amgine> NicholasT: We will have room for many speakers; as I understand it there are going to be three "focus" centers.
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, well, we did a workshop on GPG last time. This year you could talk about why it's needed?
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: Already done. 
[12/10/2005 3:09 PM] <Linuxbeak> :-)
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <brassratgirl> :) 
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, and that's just one :-)
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: interesting. There are spaces for every wiki project save Meta.
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, I think there should be talks on mediation too
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <Amgine> <raise eyebrow> WMF has only three projects?
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <brassratgirl> are there any other thoughts about program teams? ... 
[12/10/2005 3:10 PM] <NicholasT> kim_register: Oh, hmm, I suppose so... I know quite a lot about GPG.
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <brassratgirl> or wikimania organization generally ?
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <Amgine> <is not able to see the pages on the site, sorry>
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <brassratgirl> amgine: hmmm 
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <Linuxbeak> brassratgirl: Give me a few moments and I'm sure to come up with some ;P
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <brassratgirl> you're looking here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Teams#Team_ideas ?
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <NicholasT> kim_register: sure, I could give a talk on mediation, although I'm sure that someone else would be better able to do that.
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, well in this case, you also know about large orgs that spy on people
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: :) 
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <kim_register> NicholasT, teamwork good :)
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <NicholasT> kim_register: haha
[12/10/2005 3:11 PM] <Linuxbeak> kim_register: Like google? :-D
[12/10/2005 3:12 PM] <Linuxbeak> </danielbrandt>
[12/10/2005 3:12 PM] <kim_register> Linuxbeak, :-P
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <Linuxbeak> Amgine: Forgive me, I'm being dense. There's no spot for Meta permissions... do I just add it in?
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <NicholasT> kim_register: although, I don't even know whether I'll be going to Wikimania
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> if there's nothing pressing about the agenda items... 
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <Amgine> <hmms> Yes, I'd do that Linuxbeak
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> I'd like to wrap up the "official" meeting, since I'm taking notes -- and I will post a transcript soon 
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <Amgine> <nod> works for me.
[12/10/2005 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> please add your thoughts to the wiki