WikiCite Satellite Event India 2020
A Wikimedia initiative to develop open citations and linked bibliographic data to serve free knowledge. WikiCite is a series of conferences and workshops in support of that goal. WikiCite is now a community of people and ecosystem of projects which focuses on source metadata leveraging the Wikidata platform. Following the international WikiCite conferences in 2016, 2017 and 2018 we invite you to the WikiCite Satellite conference in New Delhi, India. South Asian region has not made much progress for open bibliographic data in Wikimedia projects on a large level. The event aims on work on addressing the prevalent gap of Wikidata and Wikisource integration for works and their consecutive items. The Wikimedia community and the GLAM institutions need to understand the dynamics of open bibliographic data better and how it can be scaled proactively with Wikimedia projects and other open source platforms that are involved in open data.
The in-person part of this WikiCite event have been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Remote options are being explored.
WikiCite is a growing bibliographic knowledge base connected to projects of the Wikimedia Foundation such as Wikipedia and Wikidata.
The conference will take place April 18, 19 2020.
The event aims on work on addressing the prevalent gap of Wikidata and Wikisource integration.
- Date: April 18,19 2020
- Venue: New Delhi
- Organizer: Open Heritage Foundation
- Submission deadline for session proposal: March 11, 2020
- Submission deadline for scholarship applications: March 15, 2020
- Notification for proposals and scholarships: Second week of March 16- March 25
- Registration: starts on February 26, 2020
- Hashtag: #WikiCite20 (also for other WikiCite satellite conferences in 2020)
- Keywords: WikiCite • Wikidata • Wikisource • Bibliography • Linked Open Data • Open Access • Information Retrieval • Digital Libraries • Bibliometrics
Call for Contributions edit
We invite you to propose your contribution to WikiCite Satellite New Delhi! The conference will contain different forms of submission. Please specify the format and how much time you are going to need. We especially welcome topics such as (but not limited to):
- use of bibliographic data in Wikimedia projects
- strategies to enhance the bibliographic information on large scale
- open citations and open bibliographic data
- Wikisource + Wikidata:Integrating information about authors and their works
- Use of bibliographic data in Wikimedia projects in South Asian languages
- Discussions around strategies to take offline bibliographic information on a large scale
- Wikisource and Linked data (current tools and how to use them)
- Missing elements and scripts for improving visibility and accessibility of linked Wikidata items
- Gaps concerning the author bio data from Indic languages
Please suggest your submission with a short abstract (max. 500 words), contact information, and its type, which has to be one of the following options:
- hands-on workshops: practical tutorials, e.g. introduction to Wikidata or other Wikimedia projects, introduction to bibliometrics, how-to and best-practice guides around tools
- talks: traditional presentations
- panel discussion/ round table discussion: open discussion
- posters: visually appealing and informative description of a topic to be shown at the conference site
All participants can also give spontaneous lightning talks.
Submissions will be reviewed and decided on by the program committee.
The scholarship application and registration can be done using this form.