Wiki Loves Africa 2022
This is a community space
You may look for current photographic contest, on Commons.
Wiki Loves Africa (WLA) is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute free media that is relevant to their experience to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia communities (Wikimedia movement), and also make this shared media freely available for the Humankind. Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and is chosen by the community from a few universal, visually rich and culturally specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The project is a competition which last took take place from Feb 15th till April 30th 2021
Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any universal, visually rich and culturally specific topic (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
- In 2022, the contest theme will be Home and Habitat;
- In 2021, the contest theme was Health and wellness;
- In 2020, the contest theme was Transportation;
- In 2019(*), the contest theme was Play;
- In 2017, we worked on People at work;
- In 2016, the chosen theme was Music and Dance;
- In 2015 the theme focused on Wiki Loves Africa Cultural Fashion and Adornment;
- In 2014 the theme was Wiki Loves Africa Cuisine.
The project is run at the entire African continent level. However, every year, specific actions (training, communication etc.) are held in some countries with national organisers.
At the end of the contest, some national organizers host local ceremonies and prizes (some others do not). This is up to local teams to decide if they want to host ceremonies.
In any cases, there is a global jury, and global selection of international winners (usually between 3 to 6), with prizes.
In 2022, the international prizes are:
- 1st prize: US$2,000
- 2nd prize: US$1,500
- 3rd prize: US$1,000
- Prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): US$1,000
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of Home and Habitat : US$750
- Special collection (a series of images that tell a story): US$750
Wiki Loves Africa has achieved much over 7 years:
- Close of the contest with over 16 000 images!!!
- For the next meetings, check See Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Meetings
- 5 February 2022: Office Hours in English. See Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Meetings
- 29 January 2022: Office Hours in French. See Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Meetings
- 22 January 2022: Office Hours in English. See Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Meetings
- 15 January 2022: Office Hours in French. See Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Meetings
- 15 December 2021: Deadline to submit a rapid grant. Watch Wiki Loves Africa 2022/Participating communities
- Results of Survey published.
- December 1st: Theme and details about the 2022 theme are published.
- October 2021: A survey dedicated to all participants of Wiki Loves Africa is now open. Please participate to it for WLA future!
- September 2021: A WikiAfrica Hour interactive episode with the Wiki Loves Africa 2021 Int'l winners
- September 2021: International Jury Report published
- September 2021: Announcement of Wiki Loves Africa 2021-WPWP prize winners
- August 2021: Announcement of the Wiki Loves Africa 2021 winners at Wikimania 2021 virtual Conference. Consult the winning pictures.
- August 2021: All national winners are announced: Consult the winning pictures
- July 2021: International jury process
- July 2021: Launch of Wiki Loves Africa 2021-WPWP campaign
- June 2021: Recruitment and on-boarding of Wiki Loves Africa 2021 Int'l jury
- May 2021: Initial review of the submitted entries by volunteers Commonists
- April 2021: How to make images on Wikimedia Commons more useful for Wikipedia: Wiki Loves Africa Masterclass
- April 2021: End of Wiki Loves Africa 2021 international photography contest
- February 2021: The contest launched on 15th February 2021
- February 2021: Wiki Love Africa 2021 Webinar: IP, copyright, and licenses
- January 2021: First Wiki-meeting Saturday 23rd at 10 am UTC+1.
- January 2021: The results of the WLA public survey are published.
- January 2021: We are excited to announce the winners of the ISA Tool challenge for #AfricaontheMove!! The challenge saw 68,010 data contributions by 18 participants. The winning 3 participants contributed the majority, with the top 2 (Killy95 and Rwebogora) totalling 52,238 entries. Amazing result, thank you for taking part! View more results.
- December 2020: Request for Rapid Grants to Wikimedia Foundation can be done till Dec 15th (and not beyond...)
- October 2020: A survey dedicated to all organizers of Wiki Loves Africa is now open. Please participate to it for WLA future!
- October 2020: If you are interested in receiving news from time to time directly onto your meta page, please add your name on Recipients subpage
- October 2020: Friend project AfroCine/Months of African Cinema (a contest/edit-a-thon for creating African cinema-related articles for October and November 2020...)
- October 2020: The newest ISA campaign on Wiki Loves Africa 2020 images is open. Please join it to improve the description and addition of structured data to the images of our contest.
- October 2020: The results of the survey submitted to National Leads are published.
- September 2020: Winners of the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos contest are announced: check out the the outcomes of the WLA prize
- September 2020: All national winners are announced: consult the winning pictures here
- September 2020: International Jury Report published
- September 2020: Announcement of International Winners.