Wiki Loves Africa 2021
This project page documents a project currently in progress.
NOTE: THIS IS A COMMUNITY SPACE,
TO ACCESS THE CURRENT PHOTOGRAPHIC CONTEST, CLICK HERE: Wiki Loves Africa 2021
Wiki Loves Africa (WLA) is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute free media that is relevant to their experience to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia communities (Wikimedia movement), and also make this shared media freely available for the Humankind.
Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and is chosen by the community from a few universal, visually rich and culturally specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The project is a one-month competition which will next take place from Feb 15th till April 15th 2021
Wiki Loves Africa particularly encourages participants to contribute media that illustrate a specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes and could include any universal, visually rich and culturally specific topic (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
- 2014: Cuisine
- 2015: Cultural Fashion and Adornment
- 2016: Music and Dance
- 2017: People at Work
- 2019: Play!
- 2020: Africa on the move!
- 2021: Health and Wellness
- First meeting Wiki Saturday 23rd at 10 am UTC+1. Check out Wiki Loves Africa 2021/Meetings
- The results of the WLA public survey are published. Check it out
- We are excited to announce the winners of the ISA Tool challenge for #AfricaontheMove!! The challenge saw 68,010 data contributions by 18 participants. The winning 3 participants contributed the majority, with the top 2 (User:Killy95 and User:Rwebogora) totalling 52,238 entries. Amazing result, thank you for taking part! View more results here: c:Commons:ISA Tool/Wiki Loves Africa MetaData Weeks
- Request for Rapid Grants to Wikimedia Foundation can be done till Dec 15th (and not beyond...)
- A survey dedicated to all organizers of Wiki Loves Africa is now open. Please participate to it for WLA future !
- If you are interested in receiving news from time to time directly onto your meta page, please add your name here
- Friend project AfroCine/Months of African Cinema (a contest/edit-a-thon for creating African cinema-related articles for October and November 2020...]
- The newest ISA campaign on Wiki Loves Africa 2020 images is open. Please join it to improve the description and addition of structured data to the images of our contest : https://isa.toolforge.org/campaigns/86
- The results of the survey submitted to National Leads are published. Check it out
- Winners of the Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos contest are announced: check out the the outcomes of the WLA prize here
- All national winners are announced :consult the winning pictures here
- International Jury Report published : consult the report here
- Announcement of International Winners : c:Commons:Wiki Loves Africa 2020/Winners.
- The project is run across the whole continent, however, some specific actions (training, communication etc.) are held in some countries with national organisers.
Wiki Loves Africa has achieved much over 6 years:
- Over 64,000 images collected
- 8,120 unique submitters
- Images viewed 520 millions times altogether (Sept 2020)
- 270+ events in 23 African countries
- Submitted images viewed 41 million times each month (April 2020);
- 80%+ of competitors are newbies;
- Image included in the Journeys Through Our Fragile Heritage exhibition at the UNESCO, Paris; and
- Wiki Loves Africa’s ISA tool is the Winner of the Best Multimedia Tool Prize at WikiData Conference 2019