WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Using festivals as a tool for telling the story of Africa
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 039
- Title of the submission
- Using festivals as a tool for telling the story of Africa
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Open Foundation West Africa (OFWA)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Festivals are an expressive way to celebrate glorious heritage, culture and traditions. They are meant to rejoice special moments and emotions in our lives with our loved ones. They play an important role to add structure to our social lives, and connect us with our families and backgrounds. For this reason Aristotle describes human beings as a “social animal”, because by our nature we build capacity to learn language, familiarize with cultures, enquire and think, play and work through social interaction with our fellow beings. This makes festivals a crucial part of the human race, irrespective of the location of its inhabitants, because festivals are the way of that group of people, folklore and tales from their ancestors are passed on and cultural heritage and history is preserved. From Mardi Gras in New Orleans, Yam and Fire festivals of Nigeria and Ghana to the various carnivals in Brazil and St Patrick’s Day originally from Ireland, and many other festivals abound across the globe. Albeit the importance of festivals, its coverage on Wikipedia is limited to stubs, many uncovered and many others with lack of photos or videos to further tell the story or enrich the experience of the reader or the seeker of such knowledge. Through this campaign we hope to improve the audiovisual contents of such subjects which will in turn inspire improvement of such articles from stubs, creation of entirely new articles or related photo documentary or essays about such festivals.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
A new project idea that will ensure that the rich cultures and traditions of Africa is ably covered through this campaign. It will also ensure a reach of the project scope to the many affiliates that will be around and crave their indulgence.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).