WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Grassroots approach for Wikimedia projects in Africa
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 012
- Title of the submission
- Grassroots approach for Wikimedia projects in Africa using Gambia as a case study.
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Boubacarr Coly
- Language of presentation
- English & French
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Planning Wikimedia Gambia
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- In Africa, we understood today that the key of the success in several domain is in the access to the information. Thus by seeing that all the Wikimedia projects works in the opening of a massive and free access to the information, we understood that a large-scale popularization was necessary to include as much as possible our local populations. The fact is our countries, like The Gambia, are in a wide range dominated by a very young population where the greater part are students and academics with usually a specific lack of access to open information; so our program as a grassroots approach aims to gather all that youth potentiality under wikimedia projects by highlighting and underlining the various interest and possibilities existing through digital and physical communities. With The Gambia as a case study, our approach is based on an global and local inclusion of the youth as main actors and contributors through different methods that raise their awareness about open culture and free knowledge platforms.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- The attendees could understand under a new approach how can be positive the impact of the Wikimedia Projects for african youth and at the same time get new ideas and skills to bigger the community of users in their local area with our grassroots approach and probably know much better how to solve the community approach problems.
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
Reason: Limited proof that the described techniques have been practically successful in Gambia.