Volunteer Supporters Network/Resources
Here you can find different resources related to volunteer support and the Volunteer Supportes Network.
Our own resourcesEdit
We created and compiled different materials concerning community support in the Wikimedia movement over the past years.
- Motivation and appreciation
- Guide to motivation and our role in it
- Diff: Six ways to motivate a volunteer community
- Learning pattern: Appreciation of volunteer work I. Give individual feedback
- Learning pattern: Appreciation of volunteer work II. Make it tangible
- Learning pattern: Appreciation of volunteer work III. Let others know
- Learning pattern: Appreciation of volunteer work IV. Towards a culture of appreciation
- Reach and engagement
- Wikipedia Ambassador concept
- Video: The top 9 things to know about safety and inclusion at Wikimedia online events
- Learning pattern: Reach and engage your community
- Presentation slides: The 99 dimensions of community events (PDF)
- Impact and evaluation
- Survey report: Community support addressed in the Wikimedia movement strategy recommendations
- Reader: Success and impact of volunteer support in the Wikimedia movement (PDF)
- Landscapes of volunteering
- Presentation slides: Volunteer Engagement in Wikimedia Projects. Ideas and case studies (PDF)
- Internal guidelines
2022 Hub projectEdit
In 2022, the Volunteer Supporters Network contributed to the Movement Strategy and supported the implementation of several Wikimedia 2030 goals. The activities were supported by a Movement strategy implementation grant curated by Wikimedia Austria and Wikimedia Poland.
The Wikimedia Resource Center was created by the Wikimedia Foundation as a central portal for all Wikimedia resources in 2016. It has not been extensively maintained since then, much of the information (contacts etc.) is outdated.
Part of the Wikimedia Resource Center are more than 500 Learning Patterns, including categories like:
Practical and inspiring non-Wikimedia resources:
- https://www.bhcommunityworks.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Developing-a-volunteering-strategy-Aug-2016.pdf – Developing a Volunteering Strategy – Guidance by Brighton & Hove City Council Communications Team
- https://www.energizeinc.com/ – Energize, Inc. (“creating and selecting the most relevant, innovative resources in volunteer management”)
- https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-of-contents – Community Toolbox (step-by-step guidance in community-building skills) by Center for Community Health and Development at the University of Kansas
- https://www.deutscher-verein.de/de/uploads/empfehlungen-stellungnahmen/2016/dv-2-16-anerkennungskultur.pdf – Empfehlungen des Deutschen Vereins für den Ausbau einer Anerkennungskultur in den Freiwilligendiensten (Recommendations for the development of a culture of recognition in voluntary services) by Deutscher Verein für öffentliche und private Fürsorge e.V. (in German)