Discussions with candidates for the boardEdit
Hi folks, I've created this placeholder page to act as a central location for discussion about the possibilities of audio conversations with candidates in this election. There are obviously a whole raft of options, including some debate / conversation between candidates, the concept of a fixed time skypecast - where community members could log on, listen, and even ask questions etc. - but I thought I'd kick off with a quick (10 / 15 minute) one-to-one conversation with any candidates willing to chat!
This audio project is really a part of the 'Not The Wikipedia Weekly' project - a grassroots project promoting audio conversations between wikipedians on a wide range of issues.
The technology I'd suggest for any conversations would be 'Skype' - which many / all of you are probably familiar with - however do drop me a line if there are any issues with this, as we can also call a regular phone number, or make a connection another way. If you'd like some technical help at all, I'm sure we can lend a hand there too!
It will be great to chat to each and every one of you, if possible, and I'd suggest the first step is confirming your interest, and perhaps a rough indication of availability. I'd be thrilled to try and record as many of these as possible by the end of May! cheers, Privatemusings 03:17, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
I am a Candidate and I am interested in a quick audio conversation / interviewEdit
please sign below
- (not a candidate, but for demonstration) Have skype installed, and am available flexibly during waking hours in Sydney - Privatemusings 03:19, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Don't have Skype, don't really know what it is, and am surprisingly technophobic for a Wikipedian. I'm willing to try it if it's free and not too hard. Otherwise, telephone is fine. I have a very flexible schedule. Sarcasticidealist 04:24, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- have replied at SI's talk page - Privatemusings 06:30, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Well I have skype 3.8, microphone and webcamera and I could try. I live in a weird timezone though... Alex Bakharev 06:07, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- replied at AB's talk page too - Privatemusings 06:32, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Have Skype, have already done an almost-banned episode of NTWW, and willing to participate with you, Privatemusings. No cameras, though. "I'm not ready for my close-up." - Thekohser 14:22, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Being on dialup, anything audio over the Internet is really not an option for me. Telephone could work, though. Kmweber 15:06, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- No skype here, since I run Ubuntu Linux. And even if I got skype for Ubuntu, my sound drivers are not working with the microphone jack. I suppose I could see if I could make it happen after hours in my school; about 17:00-21:00 UTC (I have a key into the computer classes), though can't say for sure if I will be able to install skype there. That is a possibility though. I would have to enquire about the telephone rates, before I would commit to that. In principle I am very interested though. -- Cimon Avaro 15:23, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Update: I was able to successfully download skype to my memory stick. I was however unable to make it work perfectly. There may be firewall issues. Perhaps good old-fashioned telephony via my mobile, or my mothers land-line will work simplest. -- Cimon Avaro 17:33, 27 May 2008 (UTC)
- Sure. We can figure out how to make it work, since as of today I have access to both windows and mac (previously mac only). Swatjester 17:05, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
- Same issue as Cimon - however I could try to get it working on my laptop which runs Vista (has had problems with sound before, though). --Skenmy 07:40, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- Have skype and a decent broadband connection. Timezones might be a problem, as I'm in UTC+3 and available only during (local) evenings. Another (small) possible concern is that English is a foreign language, this makes a difference primarily in talking. But I think we can manage. Harel 08:20, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- Have Skype, fairly flexible on time (normal EDT hours) --Cspurrier 17:22, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- I could probably arrange it on a MWFSS schedule with a day or two of notice. MBisanz 22:50, 24 May 2008 (UTC)
- Hello PM, sorry for answering your question so late. Yes I have skype and we can do the record. Please contact me for time. Thanx.--Wing 07:13, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
- I just got the notice on my Wiktionary page, where I seldom look these days. I don't have Skype, but ordinary land-line would be fine. Eclecticology 19:59, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
- Skyping on the 4th/5th should work for me. Good luck with the interviews. +sj | help with translation |+
Sign up For A Suitable Time for a Chat!Edit
Please note that all times below are in UTC - if you're having trouble converting your available times into UTC, just note your local time available, and timezone, and we'll figure something out! I'm going to miss the deadline for the votes being officially 'open' - but am hopeful that publishing the podcast on the 6th June will engage some sections of the community who might not otherwise have been informed! Thanks for your help with this!
- Sarcasticidealist 05:21, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
- Dedalus 08:39, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
- Harel 06:28, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
- Thekohser 14:20, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
- MBisanz 09:45, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- Wing 06:08, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
- Eclecticology 19:21, 3 June 2008 (UTC)
- Cspurrier 02:57, 5 June 2008 (UTC)
last chance to make the first broadcast!
Edit below if the above is all too hard!Edit
I totally sympathise! - If you can't sign up above - just drop me a note here - please suggest three specific times which would work for you, and remember to indicate clearly the timezone you're referring to! Thanks! - Privatemusings 05:12, 29 May 2008 (UTC)
I am assuming that the "group" candidate chat is not going to materialize? That may be all for the better, since I don't want to so completely trounce my fellow candidates' chances at winning this election that I come off looking cruel. (KIDDING!) -- Thekohser 19:42, 19 June 2008 (UTC)
- heh! - I think the quality of my piercing and insightful questioning scared people off... that and the fact that I've been too busy to invite anyone anyhwere... but mainly the piercing and insightful bit..... Privatemusings 03:03, 20 June 2008 (UTC)
…Hello from an inexperienced individual of Wikipedia and it's affiliates.
Yes perhaps my spelling has not been the best of carrector. Interesting how on paper ocationaly words come out of a higher percentage of quality, like supply, i have ocationaly dislpayed supply as only with one 'p' embarising. Any way time is a consuming effort towards knowledge, i have just realized 8-30-2008 how to use a spell check. Yes confidence and the hidden respect of not to mess up a commputer control board by actually useing some settings to promote thy self. Time goes on and still the check box is the only thing yet to be partial with. The rest will come.
To the Board' Memebers, here i'm sure the capabilities are simular with other methoding approuch's. My Education will come first 'mentally' thats the way, discription of any format should by a biasness and tallent to the better of understanding. Such as that sentence i have displayed.
As a user and controlled advisary representative of Wikipedias rules i shall continue; Perhaps on a talk page degree, allthough as time passes and my knowledge of the useage of wiki's pediams; Question on that word for all that i have typed i can not represent the true meaning of pediams, and request a comment. I am well aware of deleetion and befit any transformation of said contributions of said display on this representation. We all know words are inportant, and the representation of them and the useage of Wikipedia's advantage on how to recommend a tallent for representation. The Sandbox Templateing degrees, all in sort through knowledge, need a technique. After going elsewhere to exactly get the spelling correct of (Technique) my continuance has been, to final this type set and , yes review it slightly post.reviewing1:54 p.m. E.S.T. I did not get the name of the candidate. Was because of all the Paregraphs Lated to it.David George DeLancey 18:07, 1 September 2008 (UTC)
…I see it is an Option degree for the settings, towards the candidate proceedure. Though somehow on other page it was seemingly directed as an individual. Till Next Time Art Economics History.David George DeLancey 18:10, 1 September 2008 (UTC)