|This is the userpage of a user who was a member of the Wikimedia Foundation staff or served as a contractor to the Foundation. In order to maintain a historical record, it has not been deleted. However, any contact information given may be incorrect, as this user is no longer employed at the Foundation. To contact current Foundation staff, please see Category:Wikimedia Foundation staff or Staff and contractors. If you need assistance identifying the proper staff to contact about an issue, please contact answerswikimedia.org.|
I'm a Wikipedia reader since the mid-2000s, and a casual editor since 2009, when I fixed a typo in the English Wikipedia article on Grant Hart of Hüsker Dü. These days I contribute mostly to mediawiki.org, Wikitech, and Wikimedia Commons.
In 2015, I joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a software engineer. In my free time I enjoy cooking, photography, outdoor recreation, and board gaming.
I'm a senior software engineer on the Analytics Infrastructure subteam of Wikimedia's Product Infrastructure team. Current projects include launching a session length instrument and creating a set of standardized client libraries for analytics event production.
Previously, I led various product infrastructure projects, such as:
- A push notifications infrastructure for Wikimedia sites and the Wikipedia apps.
- A MediaWiki extension to provide image-labeling suggestions from Google Cloud Vision for the Computer-Aided Tagging feature on Wikimedia Commons.
- A MediaWiki extension for suggesting in-app contributions to the Wikimedia projects as part of the Suggested Edits feature and for tracking contributions made through the feature.
I also made substantial contributions to Node.js services supporting Page Previews on the web and providing page and feed content to the apps, and co-maintained Wikimedia's map tile server infrastructure.
Prior to joining Product Infrastructure, I worked on the Wikipedia app for Android, where I developed features including the Explore feed.
- E-mail: mhollowaywikimedia.org
- IRC: mholloway on Libera and Freenode