User:Iopensa/Application Wikimania 2017 Scholarship
- Tell us about your involvement in your home wiki or the broader Wikimedia movement. What have you built or contributed to in order to improve your wiki or community? Have you led or organized any of these activities?
As a volunteer
- I have started editing Wikipedia in Italian in 2006 with a specific interest on contemporary African art, artists, museums, cultural institutions and biennials.
- Membership and committee. Member of Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH. Member of the Board of Trustees (Comitato dei Garanti) of Wikimedia Italia. Member of the Wikimania Committee. Jury of Wiki Loves Monuments international 2014. Member of the scholarship committee for Wikimania 2014 London. President of the association Wiki in Africa since 2016 (not registered yet in South Africa).
- Active in making Wiki Loves Monuments possible to be organized in Italy, contributing to its organisation in Switzerland in 2013.
- Lead of Wikimania Esino Lario 2016.
My job has links to the Wikimedia projects essentially related to conceiving innovative projects to trigger the involvement of new contributors or to study possible methodologies to increase content on the Wikimedia projects (using open licenses, involving GLAMs, focusing on specific topics such as the primary school curricula).
- I have been scientific director of the projects WikiAfrica and Share Your Knowledge for lettera27 Foundation (2007-2012).
- Researcher at SUPSI with the projects Wikipedia Primary School, Swiss Foundations and Open Licenses, The Alps on Wikipedia, Culture and Safety in Africa (2013-ongoing).
- What’s something great that happened as a result of these activities? This could be described either quantitatively or qualitatively, and could impact either online or offline. Here are some examples that might help.
- 30'000 African contribution for the Wikimedia projects (WikiAfrica project 2006-2012) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiAfrica/30,000 and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiAfrica.
- Around 100 GLAMs involved in contributing to the Wikimedia projects (Share Your Knowledge, 2011-2012).https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Case_studies/WikiAfrica/Share_Your_Knowledge and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiAfrica/Share_Your_Knowledge/History.
- Production of 2 videos about Wiki GLAM cooperation. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Share_Your_Knowledge_2_How_glamwiki.ogv and https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Share_Your_Knowledge_1_Why_glamwiki.ogv.
- Production of 2 videos about Wikipedia distributed on TV in Cameroon (and I am very proud that they are funny, irreverent and distributed on the national TV for free): https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Video_Wikipedia_CKoi_Dance.webm and https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Video_Wikipedia_CKoi_Maladie_-_Sickeness.webm.
- Wiki Loves Monuments in Italy which is particularly complicated because of the Italian legislation https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Italian_cultural_heritage_on_the_Wikimedia_projects.
- Wikimania 2016 in Italy in Esino Lario (761 inhabitant mountain village with 1365 registered attendees and 1.4 million euro collected of which only 200'000 euro from Wikimedia Foundation) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario.
- Around 1500 students involved in the Lombardy Region in Wikimedia training organized in the frame of Wikimania program 2014-2018 (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_Esino_Lario_-_Protagonismo_culturale_offline_e_online)
- What collaborations with other Wikimedians or Wikimedia organizations are you most proud of?
I am very proud that Florence Devouard joined the WikiAfrica project and that Isla Haddow Flood is fully involved in the Wikimedia projects; I personally think that when initiatives you have been involved in continue without you and with very clever and committed people this is the true success. It might hurt a little because you disappear, but I think it is well worth the little selfish pain. Somehow what happened in Esino Lario worked in the same way; it is not a project that belongs to me anymore, and this truly states its success.
- How do you usually share your experiences (or things you’ve learned) with your community? Examples of on-wiki summaries/reports, blog posts, meetup talks, etc. are welcome here.
- All the projects I am involved in are documented on meta (both projects related to my work and projects I am involved as volunteer). There is a list on https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Iopensa/Past and there are links to what I am currently involved on my userpage on meta https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Iopensa.
- I also contributed to some lesson learned on meta.
- I have been creating the "Italian cultural heritage on the Wikimedia projects" page on meta to trigger activism about this important topic https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Italian_cultural_heritage_on_the_Wikimedia_projects"
- I have been starting a bibliography about GLAMs and GLAM-Wiki cooperations (https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/References) and a repository about GLAM-WIki cooperations (https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Repository)
- Please provide the links to all of your previous WMF Scholarship reports.
Please note that for Wikimania 2016 in Esino Lario I paid my registration for me and my children.
- Report for Wikimania 2015 grant (as member of the Wikimania 2016 team) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/iopensa/Wikimania/2015/Report
Other reports related to fundings from the Wikimedia Foundation
- Report scholarship for the conference WikiSym 2013 https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Iopensa/WikiSym_2013
- Report for IEG grant https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/What_is_about_-_C%27est_quoi._A_series_of_communication_tools_about_Wikipedia._Cameroon_pilot_project
- Report Wikimania Esino Lario for Wikimedia Foundation 200'000 euro grant https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Financial_plan/Contract_Wikimedia_Foundation/Report
The full list of grants and links to reports is here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Iopensa/Past#Past_projects_related_to_Wikimedia
- Submissions Wikimania
- It is not a matter of visibility: GLAMs contribute to fill the knowledge gap. New metrics for GLAMs and GLAM-Wiki cooperation https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/It_is_not_a_matter_of_visibility:_GLAMs_contribute_to_fill_the_knowledge_gap._New_metrics_for_GLAMs_and_GLAM-Wiki_cooperation
- Methods to enhance the production of Wikipedia articles on specific topics. A presentation of the methodologies tested in the production of articles related to the South African primary school curriculum https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Methods_to_enhance_the_production_of_Wikipedia_articles_on_specific_topics._A_presentation_of_the_methodologies_tested_in_the_production_of_articles_related_to_the_South_African_primary_school_curriculum