User:Ananth (CIS-A2K)/Progress report 2020
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees' programs. Please use the table below to let us know how your programs contributed to the Grant Metrics. We understand not all Grant or grantee-defined Metrics will be relevant for all programs, so feel free to put "0" where necessary. For each program include the following table and
- Next to each required metric, list the outcome/results achieved for all of your programs included in your proposal.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome.
- In addition to the Global Metrics as measures of success for your programs, there is another table format in which you may report on any OTHER relevant measures of your programs success
For more information and a sample, see Grant Metrics.
|Gender ratio||An aggregate of approx 28.9% of female Wikimedians have taken part in the events organised by CIS-A2K.||Please see Gender ratio here|
Telling your program stories - all programsEdit
Please tell the story of each of your programs included in your proposal. This is your chance to tell your story by using any additional metrics (beyond global metrics) that are relevant to your context, beyond the global metrics above. You should be reporting against the targets you set at the beginning of the year throughout the year. We have provided a template here below for you to report against your targets, but you are welcome to include this information in another way. Also, if you decided not to do a program that was included in your proposal or added a program not in the proposal, please explain this change. More resources for storytelling are at the end of this form. Here are some ways to tell your story.
- We encourage you to share your successes and failures and what you are learning. Please also share why are these successes, failures, or learnings are important in your context. Reference learning patterns or other documentation.
- Make clear connections between your offline activities and online results, as applicable. For example, explain how your education program activities is leading to quality content on Wikipedia.
- We encourage you to tell your story in different ways by using videos, sound files, images (photos and infographics, e.g.), compelling quotes, and by linking directly to work you produce. You may highlight outcomes, learning, or metrics this way.
- We encourage you to continue using dashboards, progress bars, and scorecards that you have used to illustrate your progress in the past, and to report consistently over time.
- You are welcome to use the table below to report on any metrics or measures relevant to your program. These may or may not include the global metrics you put in the overview section above. You can also share your progress in another way if you do not find a table like this useful.
|Metric||Target||Last year (if applicable)||Progress (at end of Q2)||Projected (end of year)|
Wikipedia in EducationEdit
- Wikipedia in curriculum: Wikipedia in Education at CHRIST started in the year 2013 by signing the MoU to introduce the Wikimedia projects among the Undergraduate students of the University. From day one, a series of modification has been in the program but still, it was mandatory to all the undergraduate students who choose the second language like Kannada, Hindi or Sanskrit.
- But due to COVID-19 pandemic this year, there was a major change in the program. That it was no more a mandate to students or the faculty members. Still, two faculty members and a group of 300 students showed interest in using Wikipedia as a mode to write the assignments. These students two edit Wikipedia in two intervals for the CIA-1 and CIA-3 and created around 98 articles on Wikipedia with the guidance of CIS-A2K and Samskrita Bharati, Aksharam by conducting online session students were thoughts about using Wikipedia and corrected some of there mistakes.
- Wikisource: A group of student community from Alva's college feels that contributing to Wikisource is very helpful and easy than any other Wikimedia projects. CIS-A2K guides this group of students to contribute over Kannada Wikisource with training on the regular basis. From the 01 July to 31 Dec 2020 we have trained 4 students and made sure had they contribute to Wikisource on a regular interval.
- Lingua Libre:CIS-A2K conducted a Lingua Libre session to the student community at Alva's college Mangalore on 10 November 2020 for 2 hours. As Lingua Libre is an easy project with high benefits/uses and also the interface easy which helps us to adapt and teach to the student community members.
- A virtual meeting was held with the stakeholders of the college to explain the benefits and use of Lingua Libre project and then we started to reach out to the students who are interested in taking part in the session through the social media channels. Later, 4 students, a librarian showed interest in the project and singed for the project. During the training of 10 Nov 2020, the method of using the project was explained to students with some of the examples later the participants tried using it and cleared the doubts. As of now, 331 recordings have been uploaded to the Wikimedia commons. In the upcoming days, at least 2 recording session will be conducted with a group of intresed students.
- Social Media Campaign: A social media campaign was started in the year Dec 2019 and being continued to encourage students by highlighting their work and the achievements in the Wikimedia movement to the other college students. This helps in attracting more number of students to the Wikimedia world and boost the energy of the current student Wikimedians. We use Instagram and WhatsApp group to spread the news among students.
Compared to the previous year, CIS-A2K is successful in acquiring content in Kannada and getting it relicensed under CC-BY-SA. This is due to the collaboration with Sanchi foundation who are playing as a backbone by helping in scanning the books which are relicensed under CC-BY-SA. In November, CIS-A2K figured out that some of the books relicensed by Kannada & Sanskrit Department are to be digitised, these books were not digitised as these books were not available at any library at that time. Later with the contacts of Sanchi Foundation and CIS-A2K we got some of the books and cross-checked with the Kannada and Sanskrit department if there is an issue with the licence or can be used under CC-BY-SA. After getting the permission the books were scanned, a total of 15 books within a week, it consists of 9,608 folios Which are available on Wikimedia Commons and Kannada Wikisource. CIS-A2K is a contact person the Kannada & Sanskrit Department and played a major role in initiating the process/discussion and get these books CC-BY-SA 3.0.
- Establishment of a scanning setup is very important before reaching out to the authors/publishers because setting up a scanner takes a good amount of time, whereas authors/publishers may not wait for a long time after giving the books.
- Some of the authors are not well versed with the internet and its uses which makes it difficult for us to convince them to give away books on Wikimedia commons and get the OTRS process done.
- In the upcoming months, we will be reaching out to more number of authors and publishers to get at least 15-20 books under CC-BY-SA and make it available to the local community.
CIS-A2K is supporting the Indic Wikimedia community through the Requests page to conduct the Wikimedia events/activities. This support is of 3 types such as financial, non-financial & Technical requests from the communities. The request page is open throughout the year but due to COVID-19 it was closed from 13 March 2020 till further notice but we had received a few numbers of request from the communities to conduct the virtual event and other support in conduct the virtual events.
When? & Where?
CIS-A2K provides support to the Indic communities throughout the year posted on the meta page.
The request page is open to the communities throughout the year to post the request but from 01 July 2020 to 31 Dec 2020 we have received 7 Financial request and one Non-Financial request.
- Gujarati Wikipedia edit-a-thon on Gujarati culture and civilisation: Gujarathi Wikipedia community conducted an edit-a-thon to enhance the quality and quantity of the articles related to Gujarathi culture and civilisations. A total of 7 members, who took a part in the edit-a-thon and created 119 articles and expanded 37 articles. CIS-A2K supported this request by providing the token of graduated to the participants of the edit-a-thon.
- Tamil Wiki Internship Programme 2020: Tamil Wikipedia community conduct a 30 days Internship programme for College Students to enhance the ongoing work. Total of 43 students took part in the event for 30 days and contributed to Wikisource with the help of experienced Wikipedian with 2 online sessions per week. This was a first conducted with the school students a received a great response.
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in India: West Bengal Wikimedians User group organised the Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in India (WLM) for the third year in a row. Since WLM is an International level event, it is important for the Indian community to take part in it. As the initiative was taken by West Bengal Wikimedians to provide an opportunity for Indic Wikimedians to be part of this, CIS-A2K supported them financially to provide gift cards and T-shirts for the top ten contributors of the event. This was one of the major events where 4,483 images were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by Indic community.
CIS-A2K started working on the Wikimedia Education case study in October 2019 since then series of interviews were conducted with students, faculty members and other stakeholders. After conducting these interviews a draft of the report was prepared and shared with the research manager and external reviewer. There were several suggestions given by both of them were, by considering those suggestions we started a rework on the draft of the report. Some of the points need more clarity which was stated by the interview, Hence we reached out to the respondents for more clarity on certain observation and the conclusion were reconsidered. At this particular time, we have submitted the report for the second round of review. In the next steps, the final report will be shared with the respondent and feedback will be obtained.