Toolhub/Progress reports/2022-03-11

← week ending 2022-03-04 Toolhub progress reports week ending 2022-03-11 week ending 2022-03-18 →


Report on activities in the Toolhub project for the week ending 2022-03-11.

ListsEdit

Tracked in Phabricator:
task T300968 resolved
Tracked in Phabricator:
task T300632 resolved

Slavina, Raymond, and Bryan all ended up contributing to the patch which implements the user interface for searching the collection of published lists in Toolhub. Slavina has a few more changes in review and development which are expected to wrap up our current lists focus in the coming weeks.

Recent ChangesEdit

Raymond continues to refine his work to make a new API endpoint and user interface for reviewing recent changes to toolinfo records and lists.

AnnotationsEdit

The team has spent some time discussing the next steps for annotations over the last few weeks. We reviewed the published data model to remind ourselves about the various annotation fields that Harej had planned back in 2018 and how they could fit into the roadmap:

  • wikidata item, broken, screenshots, video, and volunteer seem reasonable to implement soon
  • use cases and audiences involve controlled vocabularies or taxonomies which need to be reviewed for relevance and discussed with the community
  • official maintainer needs some kind of verification process to be designed
  • code maintainer and testers are blocked on official maintainer and some sort of notification system. It is also not clear that these really should end up being stored as community visible data. The intent and value seems to be in making it easier for technical volunteers connect with active maintainers.
  • collections seems more like derived data about which lists contain a tool than directly editable information
  • related topics needs more discussion to determine the use cases/workflows that would be improved by what is functionally using Wikidata QIDs as a replacement for keywords
  • additional information seems to be of questionable value

Bryan has been promoting an idea to add a number of annotations fields which mirror fields introduced by newer versions of the core toolinfo.json schema. The intent would be enable the community to fill in information gaps for tools which are published via a legacy Hay's Directory compatible toolinfo.json file. This in turn brings some interesting challenges to think about for integrating this data into search and display functions. A short tech spike is underway to evaluate ideas for search integration.

Wrap upEdit

The team continues to make steady progress towards its current goals. Slavina noted in a recent team meeting that it has been quite a while since we made a production release. After a bit of discussion about the stability of the current codebase, we decided to try to make a deployment in the coming week.