Toolhub/Progress reports/2021-05-21

← week ending 2021-05-14 Toolhub progress reports week ending 2021-05-21 week ending 2021-06-04 →


Report on activities in the Toolhub project for the week ending 2021-05-21.

Freenode IRC Drama!Edit

Tracked in Phabricator:
task T283247

A lot of Bryan's week was consumed by IRC/Migrating to Libera Chat. Sorry Toolhub.

Integration with LibraryupgraderEdit

Tracked in Phabricator:
task T279741 resolved
Tracked in Phabricator:
task T279471 resolved

Kunal helped us out with some JavaScript messes this week. First he figured out what needed to be cleaned up in our requirements to allow us to upgrade eslint-config-wikimedia to v0.20.0. It turned out that we had added too many direct dependencies to our config and that by removing a few of them everything got better.

Then he configured his Libraryupgrader automation tool to look for outdated JavaScript dependencies in our Toolhub project and submit Gerrit patches to bring them up to date. Along the way he needed to make several changes to Libraryupgrader itself to teach it how to deal with git repos using "main" as the primary branch and projects with ESLint configuration in package.json rather than .eslintrc.json.

Many thanks to Kunal!

Group membership managementEdit

Srishti continued to work on a user interface that will let our future Bureaucrats manage the groups that users are associated with. She is now waiting for Bryan to stop messing with IRC things and give code review.

Special:Contributions and Special:RecentChanges workalikesEdit

Srishti has a patch ready for review which adds auditlog filtering to make it possible to review the edits made by a single user, similar to MediaWiki's Special:Contributions, and also the site wide edit activity, similar to MediaWiki's Special:RecentChanges.

Hackathon!Edit

Bryan gave an Intro to Toolhub for tool maintainers presentation during Wikimedia Hackathon 2021. The slides including speaker notes are available on commons. The talk was recorded, so hopefully the video will be available soon as well.

Wrap upEdit

We got some help from others (yay!). We lost some time to emerging events outside the project (IRC and an unfortunate incident involving liquids and laptops). And we ended the week with a hackathon (yay! But also time away from Toolhub coding). All in all, we are making progress and able to identify our recent blockers. It's hard to ask for a lot more than that. Except maybe a week that has fewer distractions. Next week will not be that week though. The Foundation is taking a 4 day weekend. Don't expect a weekly update next week, but we will be back on 2021-06-04 telling you what has happened between now and then.