The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
|previous||2020, week 31 (Monday 27 July 2020)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- The Starter kit is now available for wiki communities. This page lists technical resources, tools, and recommendations. These are essential to operate a wiki project. This is mostly useful for smaller wikis where the community has limited experience with this. 
- The first features of the Desktop Improvements project are available for logged-in users on all wikis. In order to use them, uncheck Use Legacy Vector in your local or global preferences in section Skin preferences. More improvements are planned. Feedback is welcome.
- On multiple wikis, a UTCLiveClock gadget is available. For wikis that import the gadget directly from mediawiki.org, end users can now choose a different timezone to show instead of UTC.
- The deployment train for MediaWiki has been blocked this week. 
- Translation Notification Bot was sending the same message multiple times to every translator. This has been fixed. 
- Some users were receiving the same notification multiple times. This has been fixed. 
Changes later this week
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 28 July. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 29 July. It will be on all wikis from 30 July (calendar).
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.