Hi! Tech News is useful and interesting, thank you! But please, write in English! In the latest issue you wrote "easier see how the article has changed over time"; that'd be marked as "wrong" in the first year of elementary school. Presumably you meant to say "more easily see how the article has changed over time"? Thanks, Justlettersandnumbers (talk) 18:06, 30 November 2020 (UTC)
- Sorry for the late reply. Unlike English Wikipedia, Tech News is not necessarily aimed at an audience which speaks English reasonably well, and sometimes the language in the newsletter suffers some abuse due to our attempt to make it easier to understand for en-2 or even en-1 speakers who might not get a translation into their native language. We try to balance a) ease of translation, b) ease of reading for non-native speakers and c) not confusing the native or very fluent speakers, while explaining technical concepts in a few sentences, and sometimes we fail at one or more of these, which grieves us.
- (And sometimes, of course, there'll be the odd, involuntary mistake due to the fact that majority of the Tech News writers are not native speakers of English, and had no English classes in elementary school.) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 00:59, 16 January 2021 (UTC)
Subscribe to the Chinese version of the news, but received the English versionEdit
At first, I received some news in Chinese, but the two I received recently are both in English, and my English is so bad that I can’t understand it at all. Even these are translated by Google. May I ask why this is so? Are there opportunities for improvement? --思淇敏君 (talk) 17:11, 15 January 2021 (UTC)
- They must be translated before they are sent. Which for some latest issues did not happen. If they are translated later, they are accessible here on Meta. --Matěj Suchánek (talk) 20:02, 15 January 2021 (UTC)
- @思淇敏君: Hi. Each week the edition is translated by volunteers, and different people have time to help with this task each week. So, depending on the week, we have translations in anywhere from 12 to 20+ languages. If you are able to help with this yourself, or if you know someone who might be able and interested in helping, then more help with translating is always appreciated. Thanks, Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:34, 15 January 2021 (UTC)
- Note: Subscribing to the (low-quantity) mail:translators-l mailing list is the best way for anyone to be reminded that a new edition is ready for translation. We send out weekly reminders on Thursday & Friday (UTC). Thanks again! Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 20:37, 15 January 2021 (UTC)