The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
|previous||2019, week 02 (Monday 07 January 2019)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Tech News writers, editors and translators wish you a pleasant 2019 year.
- RelatedSites extension has been undeployed. It was used to create interwiki links on Wikivoyage, now handled by Wikidata. 
- MediaWiki logstash logging is moving to a new infrastructure. This is an ongoing deployment. 
- codesearch.wmflabs.org has been updated, with new and updated repositories and a new search options for code. 
- On several wikis, an account named "Abuse filter" has been created on December 17th to perform some technical maintenance on AbuseFilter. This account has sysop rights but it's a system user and no human can use it. The account already existed on wikis where AbuseFilter can perform blocks, which are issued using this account. See T212268 for more information and future plans.
- In AbuseFilter, the "Throttle" action takes three parameters: count, period and groups. They must now strictly respect the requirements listed on mediawiki.org. A list of broken filters is on Phabricator. If you're familiar with AbuseFilter, please take a look and fix them. 
Changes later this week
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 8 January. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 9 January. It will be on all wikis from 10 January (calendar).
- Search Platform Office Hours is rescheduled to January 9th. Check the details for time and date.
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.