The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
|previous||2018, week 29 (Monday 16 July 2018)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- You can now use global preferences on Wikimedia wikis. You can set them on the global preferences page. 
- You can now see a new log of pages being created at Special:Log/create. It includes pages which are later deleted. It is now available on all Wikimedia wikis except Commons and Wikidata. 
- You can see how many pageviews a wiki had from specific countries. The Wikistats2 maps have now been updated. 
Changes later this week
- Your watchlist will show changes from the last seven days instead of three. If you have already set a length preference it will not change. 
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from 17 July. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis and some Wikipedias from 18 July. It will be on all wikis from 19 July (calendar).
- You can join the next meeting with the Editing team. During the meeting, you can tell developers which bugs you think are the most important. The meeting will be on 17 July at 18:30 (UTC). See how to join.
- You can join the technical advice meeting on IRC. During the meeting, volunteer developers can ask for advice. The meeting will be on 18 July at 15:00 (UTC). See how to join.
- Some articles have messages to readers about problems with the article. For example that it does not cite sources or might not be neutral. Readers do not see these messages on the mobile version. The developers now want to show them. You can read more and leave feedback.
- You can use
<inputbox>to create search boxes for specific pages. For example to search the archives of a community discussion page. Instead of
prefix:Page nameyou will see a text that explains which pages are being searched. You can read more and leave feedback.
Tech news prepared by Tech News writers and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.