The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe, contribute and give feedback.
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please tell other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
- MediaWiki can now hide the signature button when you edit a content page. 
- The "Your preferences have been saved" message has changed. You can now see more easily what was saved when you change preferences several times. 
- You can now use the same tools to edit style in VisualEditor on mobile as in desktop browsers. 
- You can no longer use the Sajax library. You can see a list of pages to fix.  
- You can no longer use
document.writeon Wikimedia wikis. You can see a list of pages to fix.  
- The content translation tool now works better. It is easier to use math, and useless tags are no longer added. 
- More edits have been rejected due to loss of session data lately. This is now fixed. 
- Importing a Lua module sometimes didn't work. This is now fixed. 
- Text was sometimes lost in the content translation tool. One part of the problem is now fixed. 
Changes this week
- The new version of MediaWiki will be on test wikis and MediaWiki.org from August 11. It will be on non-Wikipedia wikis from August 12. It will be on all Wikipedias from August 13 (calendar).
- UploadWizard is getting a new look. The look of buttons and checkboxes has already changed. This week, UploadWizard gets a new date picker. The other text fields will change soon. 
- You can now test VisualEditor on mobile devices of all sizes. 
- You can join the next meeting with the VisualEditor team. During the meeting, you can tell developers which bugs are the most important. The meeting will be on August 11 at 19:00 (UTC). See how to join.
- Some things in the watchlist will get a new look. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by bot • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.